Need help with dechlorinating water

Luke tomkinson

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2019
In an arapaima
www.youtube.com
Ive been researching for a cheap way of removing chlorines and chloramines present in most tap water.I came across the chemical sodium thiosulfate which is a crisstilised substance that dissolves in water and effectively neutralises chlorines.I researched further.I released that it does not remove chloramines and I've had looked at my water report and apparently I have chlorine and chloramines present.I have heard that if chloramines are not neutralised that it will produce ammonia some ammonia will gas off, but most of it will simply be converted into nitrites and nitrates by your bacterial filter.Is this true??
Should I be worried about the excess ammonia?or will my filter deal with it quickly enough not to matter?
is their anything I canned to the sodium thiosulfate to neutralise the chloramines and if so what is it called??

Luke tomkinson

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2019
In an arapaima
www.youtube.com
If you have several weeks the chlorine will leave the water not very practicable though or setup a rain water collection setup for free chlorine free water
no I need to remove chloramines slightly diffrent the sodium thiosulphate removes chlorine this is the issue

Reactions: tlindsey

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I had chloramine where I lived previously, and used sodium thiossulfate to remove the chlorine part of the compound.
Most water suppliers use a ratio of 4 to 1, .....4 or 5 parts chlorine to 1 part ammonia to create chloramine.
My chloramine residual from the tap average 1 ppm =/- .
My bio filters easily used that extra ammonia, part of the compound, and I never had problems with Sodium Thio as a de-chlorinator.
Before Sodium Thio

After

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Ive been researching for a cheap way of removing chlorines and chloramines present in most tap water.I came across the chemical sodium thiosulfate which is a crisstilised substance that dissolves in water and effectively neutralises chlorines.I researched further.I released that it does not remove chloramines and I've had looked at my water report and apparently I have chlorine and chloramines present.I have heard that if chloramines are not neutralised that it will produce ammonia some ammonia will gas off, but most of it will simply be converted into nitrites and nitrates by your bacterial filter.Is this true??
Should I be worried about the excess ammonia?or will my filter deal with it quickly enough not to matter?
is their anything I canned to the sodium thiosulfate to neutralise the chloramines and if so what is it called??
I don't know what product you have but I have seachem safe, which basically is seachem prime, but in powdered form. It's main ingredient is sodium thiosulphate and this stuff, let me tell you, is potent.

For comparison 1 litre of seachem prime treats 10000 gallons. 250g of seachem safe treats 60000 gallons! Depending on your residual amounts of chlorine and chloramine in your tap water (see your local water report) you may get even more mileage out of it!

And yes seachem safe removes chlorine AND chloramine.

Luke tomkinson

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2019
In an arapaima
www.youtube.com
I don't know what product you have but I have seachem safe, which basically is seachem prime, but in powdered form. It's main ingredient is sodium thiosulphate and this stuff, let me tell you, is potent.

For comparison 1 litre of seachem prime treats 10000 gallons. 250g of seachem safe treats 60000 gallons! Depending on your residual amounts of chlorine and chloramine in your tap water (see your local water report) you may get even more mileage out of it!

And yes seachem safe removes chlorine AND chloramine.
yes I've researched both and worked out 1kg of crystallised treats around 80000 and it cost me 6 pounds lol.

Luke tomkinson

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2019
In an arapaima
www.youtube.com
I had chloramine where I lived previously, and used sodium thiossulfate to remove the chlorine part of the compound.
Most water suppliers use a ratio of 4 to 1, .....4 or 5 parts chlorine to 1 part ammonia to create chloramine.
My chloramine residual from the tap average 1 ppm =/- .
My bio filters easily used that extra ammonia, part of the compound, and I never had problems with Sodium Thio as a de-chlorinator.
Before Sodium Thio

After
thank you so much this has really stopped me worrying about the chloramines haha

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
thank you so much this has really stopped me worrying about the chloramines haha
You will need to test what the ammonia level is at your home tap water supply as it may differ from what it is at duanes duanes or other fish keepers homes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store