Global doom and gloom.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
I just got my year book today as from the class of 2020 I found several quotes that all said they re use plastic water bottles so they make less waste.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
A single effort is pointless if the vast majority just do what they want and carry on regardless.
I’m afraid you are simply wrong there as it’s a snowball effect no matter how you slice it. Does it not take 1 snowball to start an avalanche? One person starts a thought and gets other people to go with it then they get other people to go with it and it takes off. All it takes is time.
Years and years down the line when this young generation get into politics and high powered government positions then and only then might we see something drastic start to happen on a global scale, that is if they still harbour their beliefs as they get older.
Only a few years my friend, we are a stubborn bunch of young people who hold our beliefs true to the end and will die upholding them. Im surrounded by them everyday so I can tell you, we may back down temporarily but that’s to gather our forces and come back stronger until we succeed. That’s one of the things I hate about gen Z while respect at the same time, they just refuse to quit no matter how many times you kick them in the face.

Reactions: Hendre

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
But your ethic only works if EVERY single person on the planet recognises they have an impact. A single effort is pointless if the vast majority just do what they want and carry on regardless. And that's what's been happening for decades.
Hello; I figured this out decades ago. There was a movement called ZPG (zero population growth) around during the 70's . It was fairly widely know but not very widely practiced. Too bad the concept did not catch on since at that time there was still a fighting chance to mitigate not only population issues but some of the other building problems. My striving to have a limited personal impact is not some idealistic view that there is now a chance to "fix" things. I do the things I do for my own view of how to conduct myself after becoming aware, not in any expectation other will follow. Unfortunately to use a an old phrase, those boats have already. I do understand my lifestyle is not going to make a difference in the overall scheme of things, but it suits my sense of being decent I guess.

The children I did not have are not competing for resources with children alive now. I am 72 now so there may have been grandchildren.

Even if they did not entirely understand the implications of the choices made by most people decades ago, many decided to have more than the stabilizing ZPG number of children. ZPG did not mean no children at all like me. It was that a couple would have only two children. That would be replacement levels and would have stopped the exponential increase in population. A golden opportunity missed and we are now at a population level beyond the carrying capacity of the environment without the use of unsustainable modern farming methods.

Reactions: Hendre

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Original post edited. Removing political content.
Hello; Had I written such a statement it may well get me banned. I do strongly disagree with you but do not have the privilege to make counter statements. I do not plane to report you as that will likely get this thread closed. May I suggest you keep such to your self or start a PM.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: fishhead0103666

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Let's not delve into the politics of global warming. What we do know is the ball is rolling too slowly to get major change, but we are slowly making victories: England for example had a pretty long coal-free streak recently

Reactions: fishhead0103666

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
We all have a sphere of influence, each of varying sizes, that is where our individual efforts will make a collective difference

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
It's truly tiresome to hear the older (i.e. my) generation complaining about the younger ones; equally tiresome to hear the newest alphabet-letter of generations trumpeting how they will grow up to save the world once all the oldsters are dead.

The growth of human civilization has created global environmental emergencies, granted. But the emergence of human civilization...along with all its attendant ills like over-population, pollution, the spread of invasive species, et al...is an inevitable result of human nature. The combination of intelligence, aggressiveness, curiosity, adaptability and fecundity that has resulted in the planet being coated with an increasingly-thicker layer of people not only allows us to create a civilization; it demands it. And once we create it, it can't stagnate; it must either continue to grow, or die. One of the definitions of a recession is two consecutive quarters of negative economic growth. We struggle to create an artificial environment that depends upon consuming the world in which we live.

As I went through life, I became more and more disillusioned with humanity in general. I also felt guilty about the fact that I was aware of the degradation of the natural world, and yet I earned my living as an industrial/construction electrician. I couldn't reconcile a concern for the environment with a life spent adding to its destruction. I usually work on remote jobs in the far north country, and sadly get to see what's being done first-hand. Today's party line of concern for nature goes on and on about the need for oversight and care, but the boots-on-the-ground actuality is that the owners of companies pay lip-service to caring for the environment; the front-line workers roll their eyes, knuckle down beneath the overseers' whips and continue to crush the earth as quickly as possible, just more quickly and quietly.

Maybe this is the natural order of things? Life evolves on a planet, it becomes more and more advanced until intelligence inevitably develops, which inevitably builds up to the kind of consuming crescendo we see today...and then it all blows up. The final level of extinction event occurs, and the few surviving elements of life begin the long, slow crawl up the evolutionary ladder to the diving board again.

Hmmm...whaddaya think, esoxlucius esoxlucius ? Have I cheered you up yet? :)

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Hello; Had I written such a statement it may well get me banned. I do strongly disagree with you but do not have the privilege to make counter statements. I do not plane to report you as that will likely get this thread closed. May I suggest you keep such to your self or start a PM.
Jeesh, thanks for not reporting me! But i'm pretty sure the "eye in the sky" were aware of what i'd put before you even saw it.

I meant well starting this thread but in hindsight it was fraught with danger. We can't really discuss topics like global warming without delving into the darker side of it, which of course we try to keep away from, and quite rightly so.

Mods, feel free to freeze this thread, or even better delete it.

And jjohnwm jjohnwm , just for the record, you always cheer me up with your ramblings :thumbsup:

Reactions: jjohnwm

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
And jjohnwm jjohnwm , just for the record, you always cheer me up with your ramblings :thumbsup:
Ramblings? Ramblings???

I resemble that remark...:)

I'm here all week, folks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store