Convict with mbunas

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I’d imagine that would be the case for all non mbunas?

Joshuakahan

Banned
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
I’d imagine that would be the case for all non mbunas?
It’s way more extreme with mbuna and most other rift cichlids. The only way to add to an established mbuna tank is to add many at once, usually. I still say try it if you want, just monitor things closely and remove the convict if necessary, nothing is absolute in this hobby

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Thanks for the help. If I come across a large one, I may give it a shot.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Will do

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Picked up a 2-3 inch female today. I put it in, and it instantly started trying to be the boss. She was going at it with the kenyi for 20 minutes. She lost and was pinned to the top and beat up. I didn’t want it to get worse so I put her in my American cichlid tank. She is nice and happy there.
It was worth a shot, now I know (I did get a convict out of it though). Thanks for the help.

Joshuakahan

Banned
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
Picked up a 2-3 inch female today. I put it in, and it instantly started trying to be the boss. She was going at it with the kenyi for 20 minutes. She lost and was pinned to the top and beat up. I didn’t want it to get worse so I put her in my American cichlid tank. She is nice and happy there.
It was worth a shot, now I know (I did get a convict out of it though). Thanks for the help.
That must be kenyi thing , when I had mbuna with a convict, once the mbuna got bigger, the convict and kenyi went at it all the time, mostly just posturing tho but they were pretty evenly matched, the other mbuna just did the usually chasing each other

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Yeah, I think it has to do with similar size and striping. My johanni also didn’t like her, but the convict ignored him. The zebra and auratus were (for once) well behaved, and the demansoni also stayed out of the way.
Maybe I’ll attempt to breed it with my Dempsey or a rainbow cichlid, see what happens.

Joshuakahan

Banned
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
Yeah, I think it has to do with similar size and striping. My johanni also didn’t like her, but the convict ignored him. The zebra and auratus were (for once) well behaved, and the demansoni also stayed out of the way.
Maybe I’ll attempt to breed it with my Dempsey or a rainbow cichlid, see what happens.
I think that’s why as well, rainbows are cool, I have a pair that has spawned several times.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
How do you tell males vs females? If I can figure mine out, I may try to see what the fry would look like grown up.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store