Can pygos be mixed?

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Can the different pygocentrus species be kept all in one big shoal, or is that setting up for disaster?
My dream piranha tank would involve 1-2 piraya, 2-3 Caribes, and 3-5 red bellies, not sure if it’s practical.

0wen_96

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2020
Wallingford, PA
"Also don't try mixing the species (i.e. cariba, nattereri, and piraya) within Pygocentrus together either, because it won't necessarily work harmoniously every time. ... It doesn't matter if your piranha is 1 inch or 20 inches, if they are hungry enough they will bite their tank mate." -the link(someone plz double check me)

Reactions: i Aqua

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Yeah, I have heard that, but I have seen plenty of success stories. Red bellies are my favorite, so if I had to pick one it would be them, but it would look awesome with them all together.

Reactions: tlindsey

Scruffy4

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2020
Canada
IMO putting them together while they’re all the same size(and young), well fed with lots of tank space can work. a 180 gallon tank would be a safe bet for a while.

Reactions: dr exum

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
Can the different pygocentrus species be kept all in one big shoal, or is that setting up for disaster?
My dream piranha tank would involve 1-2 piraya, 2-3 Caribes, and 3-5 red bellies, not sure if it’s practical.
yes , did it... had 3 of ea of the varieties - however super reds & ternetzi have not been around for years....

go for it!

same size best - id imagine you’re going to have trouble finding the 3 varieties at the same size - probably grow out separately then add when similar size -

prolly get yourself a 180g and should be ok

oh and i buy 1 extra of ea species as some are going to get eaten - bigger you can get them the less chance of that -

GL!

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Thanks for the replies everyone! This is a project that I probably won’t be able to get to for years, but it’s good to know what I can and can’t do beforehand.

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
Thanks for the replies everyone! This is a project that I probably won’t be able to get to for years, but it’s good to know what I can and can’t do beforehand.
oh, i’ve seen reds and caribe eating pellets if you can get em young enough and eating pellets life will be easier - i got away from any fish that won’t eat dry of some sort... otherwise ones anchored to their tank....

GL!

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Thanks!
When I still had my red, I fed it pellets. I think it curbed his aggression enough. I never did feeders, so only tankmate attempts counted as food. He did let the leporinus live after taking his eye though...

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
if you have a very large tank you can house all those pygos...no problems whatsoever as long as they are well fed. i've done it. don't forget to add the pygo ternetzi to your list;)
I would add ternitzi, but they seem harder to come by. Also, being so close to reds in size and appearance I wasn’t sure how much of an issue a mix would cause.
However many years down the line when I get to this tank, I’ll definitely keep my eyes out for all the pygos though!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store