Anyone Interesting in your family tree?

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
How tf do yall find out who yall related to? All I know is that my parents and grandparents come from China.
Just hearing it from relatives.

Another one of my relatives worked on NASA rockets. I don’t remember exactly which one though. Maybe Apollo 11.

Reactions: The Masked Shadow

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
One of our best family friends was born in chile, though she is irish, american, and a few other things that are NOT chilean. Her great grandfather went to a town in chile that was unnamed, and he did something that the natives liked, so they named their town after him. It is called Necochea. It has over 90,000 inhabitants! My dad was born in Viña Del Mar, but doesn't have any chilean in him. He was 4 days old when the giant earthquake happened.

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
I have no idea. I do come from a multi-national family starting down from Greece up to the European part of Russia but I never bothered researching. I don't care where my body comes from. It's going to go where it came from...:)

Having said that, I keep dreaming about Japan and living in Japan. I've never been there. I have no interest in Japan when awake.

In one of my dreams I was a woman married to a fisherman and living in a hut. I saw myself as an aging 40-50 year old woman who really loves her fisherman husband. No joke. He was just about to go out fishing and he asked me to go to the market during the day to buy him new flip flops. It was one of those lucid dreams in which you are aware you're dreaming while dreaming....So I thought of asking him which year we were living in. He said 1950. When I woke up I went straight to internet researching if there were flip flops in Japan in 1950 to prove myself it was just a dream....Well, stupid me then finds out flips flops were exported out of Japan after the WW2 and became really popular since then. I swear I didn't know this bit of info about flip flops before that :grinyes:

That I suppose explains my love for fish :grinyes:

As for somewhat interesting family history, my grandma had 3 husbands. The 1st one died in the war in a submarine which was ordered by the military to sink itself with it's passengers to avoid being captured by the enemy. All were regarded as heroes at the time apparently but only the families were told how they died and why they died. The story ,as of yet, has never been made public. Her 2nd husband was tortured and killed in prison by the communists for giving grains to the poor out of the common communist's stored supply. This happened after the war. Her 3rd husband is the one I know, not my real grandfather but I regarded him as such. He was a veteran from the war with a drawer of medals and a wooden leg. He was super strict. If you were late on the table for dinner at 7, even by a minute, you might as well not sit :)
My grandma considered herself really unlucky in life and cursed to be alone. During the war and after, women did all the heavy work due to lack of any men. She outlived all her husbands by decades. The funny thing is, she nearly died when she was young. She was brought dying to a person, who would now probably be called a naturopathic physician. He gave her some herbs and diet to follow and she miraculously recovered. And for the rest of her life she didn't even know what blood pressure or cholesterol is. She died peacefully in bed when she was 92, up until then flying like a rocket doing chores.

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
Right...friendly fire vs mustard gas if you had the choice...
Or you could be an officer, commandeer a mansion behind the front line and have a butler bring you champagne and 3 course meals while you order 1000s of men to their death everyday and sign off on the firing squad for the ones who had enough and try to desert their posts.

Reactions: The Masked Shadow

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Right...friendly fire vs mustard gas if you had the choice...
Is there a third choice, preferably one which doesn't involve me dying in it, lol. And maybe the third choice would have a sun kissed beach in it with lots of scantily clad females bringing me drinks.......please! :thumbsup:

Or you could be an officer, commandeer a mansion behind the front line and have a butler bring you champagne and 3 course meals while you order 1000s of men to their death everyday and sign off on the firing squad for the ones who had enough and try to desert their posts.
This reminds me very much of the butcher German officer that Ralph Fiennes played in Schindlers List.

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
Is there a third choice, preferably one which doesn't involve me dying in it, lol. And maybe the third choice would have a sun kissed beach in it with lots of scantily clad females bringing me drinks.......please! :thumbsup:

This reminds me very much of the butcher German officer that Ralph Fiennes played in Schindlers List.
I was thinking of Blackadder goes Forth when I was typing it. A bit more light hearted I must say! Out of touch officers with no grasp of the reality on the frontlines.
Its hot here now and i couldnt sleep, there was an old late night movie I watched a few weeks ago, All Quiet On The Western Front which shows WW1 from the german point of view. It was pretty full on for such an old movie.

Reactions: esoxlucius

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
I was thinking of Blackadder goes Forth when I was typing it. A bit more light hearted I must say! Out of touch officers with no grasp of the reality on the frontlines.
Its hot here now and i couldnt sleep, there was an old late night movie I watched a few weeks ago, All Quiet On The Western Front which shows WW1 from the german point of view. It was pretty full on for such an old movie.
I like a good war film. I can highly recommend "hacksaw ridge," which is a true story, and I came across a film only the other week called "fury", which has Brad Pitt in it. Both brutal and brilliant.

And there he goes....again....completely off original thread topic. Lol.

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
I like a good war film. I can highly recommend "hacksaw ridge," which is a true story, and I came across a film only the other week called "fury", which has Brad Pitt in it. Both brutal and brilliant.

And there he goes....again....completely off original thread topic. Lol.
I saw hacksaw ridge recently, very graphic once the war scenes start, apocalypse now was on tv last night but i didnt watch it as the 3 hour length is too much.

Threads going off topic is the way it works in the lounge, I remember the facebook is evil thread ending up talking about the best sandwhiches somehow. Its amusing to see the threads take on alife of their own.

This was a good idea for a thread though, something sort of on topic is a news story I saw the other day about the indiam hindu caste system. I dont really understand how it works but whatever caste you were born into sets up your life , social status and job opportunities. The story was about the lowest caste and how all they were allowed to do was clean sewers and toilets. Its disgusting work and sad that a kid born into the caste has so little options. If they were on this thread they would be able to trace back 200 years of their relatives cleaning toilets and blocked sewers by hand with no protective gear, if nothing changes there then thats all their kids and their kids kids will be allowed to do too.

Reactions: esoxlucius
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store