Please HELP my piranha!!

ELForbes

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2021
I have a red-bellied piranha who is at least 17 years old. I recently changed the filter to a Fluval (I originally had a Whisper), after which the levels went berserk. I finally got them stabilized, and he's been doing well since (about 3 months).

Suddenly, last week, I noticed he was acting funny- he kept facing upward, toward the water surface but not AT the surface. Levels were slightly off again, so fixed that (sounds like it may have been due to a hidden dead crayfish ).

However, he's back to looking at the surface, and his bottom lip looks swollen. In fact, I can no longer see his teeth... I'm not sure if that's due to the swelling or if he lost them. If the latter, is that normal?

I'm seriously panicking, and the place I usually go for help is closed today.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!!IMG_20210314_205058.jpg

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
maybe put the old filter back and run in conjunction with new filter until it’s established-

test water with API - grab some prime to make water safe (have to dose every day)

post water param

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I have a red-bellied piranha who is at least 17 years old. I recently changed the filter to a Fluval (I originally had a Whisper), after which the levels went berserk. I finally got them stabilized, and he's been doing well since (about 3 months).

Suddenly, last week, I noticed he was acting funny- he kept facing upward, toward the water surface but not AT the surface. Levels were slightly off again, so fixed that (sounds like it may have been due to a hidden dead crayfish ).

However, he's back to looking at the surface, and his bottom lip looks swollen. In fact, I can no longer see his teeth... I'm not sure if that's due to the swelling or if he lost them. If the latter, is that normal?

I'm seriously panicking, and the place I usually go for help is closed today.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!!View attachment 1454680
[/QUOTE

Agree with dr exum dr exum

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I agree, get the old filter back, test water, do a water change.
Piranhas are fighters, they don’t give up easily.

Cich Mind

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2021
Michigan
Hey E ELForbes ,

I am no expert on RBP's but 17 years old is quite old. Do you think it might be old age causing this problem. This is just purely a guess as I don't know how long they are supposed to live. GL with your fish.

Reactions: ELForbes

Cich Mind

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2021
Michigan
Wow Deadeye Deadeye ,

I had no clue RBP's could live that long. Is that lifespan similar to American cichlids I wonder?

Reactions: tlindsey

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I think so. Average for most fish is still in the 10-15 year range. Piranhas also fall there, but 25 ish is possible. I’m pretty sure pacus can go even longer.
Good care is the key to long lives. Most American cichlids you can expect 10-20 years depending on species. Someone on here was posting about a 14 year old Midas, and it looked as good as Jex’s fish Casper (who is only 3). I wouldn’t be surprised if it had at least another 10 years. I’ve even read about 40+ year old clownfish.
Essentially, expect 10-15 years for most mid size aquarium fish that are properly cared for, and double it under perfect conditions.

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Also see if you can get a clearer picture of his mouth area if you can as you mentioned his bottom lip seemed swelled up.

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
Sort out your water parameters. It’s probably the cause. Also, make sure you check your ph and no stray voltage. I lost my rhom at 17 years old due to stray voltage that I caught too late.

Reactions: dr exum and Deadeye
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store