Catfish newbie

Cichlid savage II

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2021
Middle River, MD
If those are fish you like the look of, then for life fish for that tank that are similar could include,
1. Pterodoras granulosus
1. Megalodoras uranoscopus
1. Girraffe catfish (most of them)
3. Larger jelly cats (although they may be a little on the small side)
4. A number of the larger plecs
5. A number of the larger pim types
Tigrinus
Jurense
Wyckii
Liearius
Vulture cat
Thanks. I'll have to take a look at them.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Hey Dave, have we lost the track of the tank size here? it's an 8'x3' wide tank. Perhaps you got another point I am missing.

1. Ripsaw Catfish way too big
2. Fisher's woodcat way too hiding
3. Giant Bumblebee Catfish way too hiding
4. Chocolate Pleco don't know much about it
5. Bolt Catfish a good fit

But I got your point, these are the ones you find the aesthetics pleasing. We'll come up with candidates for you soon.

Reactions: tlindsey

Cichlid savage II

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2021
Middle River, MD
Hey Dave, have we lost the track of the tank size here? it's an 8'x3' wide tank. Perhaps you got another point I am missing.

1. Ripsaw Catfish way too big
2. Fisher's woodcat way too hiding
3. Giant Bumblebee Catfish way too hiding
4. Chocolate Pleco don't know much about it
5. Bolt Catfish a good fit

But I got your point, these are the ones you find the aesthetics pleasing. We'll come up with candidates for you soon.
How about Vulture Catfish?

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Sorry, my bad. I thought I had said something about the vultures. Must have been in a different thread. Vultures enjoy a bit more swimming room than an 8x3 would offer but it could be tried, if you luck out and get a smaller-growing male (18"-22"). A larger growing female (24"+) would be too cramped.

Reactions: Cichlid savage II

Cichlid savage II

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2021
Middle River, MD
Sorry, my bad. I thought I had said something about the vultures. Must have been in a different thread. Vultures enjoy a bit more swimming room than an 8x3 would offer but it could be tried, if you luck out and get a smaller-growing male (18"-22"). A larger growing female (24"+) would be too cramped.
looks like the Bolt is leading the pack :)
I think at this time anything more than an 8x3, I will have to start selling furniture. Maybe in the future. I have a couple ideas brewing.

• Haha
Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Unless you are married, furniture is way overrated. You probably only need a bed, a bookcase, a table, and a chair. Anything more is counterproductive and will only distract you from keeping fish properly :)

I've little time now but this is just thinking way ahead, right? So now that you gave us the examples of fish that tickle your fancy, I am sure we as a community will chime in with more suggestions. The bewhiskered king Usain Bolt may or may not get dethroned... but it's an awesome catfish to start keeping catfish.

Cichlid savage II

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2021
Middle River, MD
Unless you are married, furniture is way overrated. You probably only need a bed, a bookcase, a table, and a chair. Anything more is counterproductive and will only distract you from keeping fish properly :)

I've little time now but this is just thinking way ahead, right? So now that you gave us the examples of fish that tickle your fancy, I am sure we as a community will chime in with more suggestions. The bewhiskered king Usain Bolt may or may not get dethroned... but it's an awesome catfish to start keeping catfish.
I'm excited about exploring the possibilities.

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Now I’m confused.

It’s an 8x3 and we had a list of what the op likes. So I gave a list of other cats that could live for life (ish) in an 8x3 and wouldn’t get eaten by a bass or arrowana.
True, a couple on my list are a little on the large side when adult for an 8x3 but not as much as a bass or arowana.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store