Reptile in a 50 gallon

Kolton13

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2019
The measurements are the same as a 40 breeder but just taller. I want to do a terrarium with air ferns and maybe an aloe vera. My plan was to get a bearded but the one I wanted sold. So now i'm debating on what I should get. No snakes or bugs. I want an intractable one that I can handle and family members wont be scared of. There are uromastyx at my LFS and theyre pretty cool. They said they need a lot of heat. Which may or not be a problem. But they are vegetarians which is nice. Because unlike a beardie I cant feed 20+ crickets a day. So something that I can handle, doesnt eat 10$ worth of crickets, and is not hard to find and cheaper like n more than 100$

Reactions: Deadeye

Liam515

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2021
a Chinese cave gecko would work they are around 100$ and are like a leopard gecko body shape but they look cooler

Cich Mind

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2021
Michigan
Hello Kolton13 Kolton13 ,
I have kept Bearded Dragons in the past and loved them. Their personality and interaction towards humans trumps any other lizard you may find. They are also super tame (you can handle them with ease) and are a very good looking lizard. They need ample heat and lighting. They eat all kinds of different veggies and crickets (they don't need crickets, just a snack once in a while). They are always out in the open which I like also. If I were you I would hold out and wait for some to become available. Every Petco/Petsmart from here to the rockies sells them for about $40. Just my 2 cents. Hope you find one, you won't be disappointed. GL

Last edited:

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I take it you want a desert reptile?
I would say get a smaller tortoise or a small uromastyx. Uros are nice because most species are smaller than beardies so it could live in that tank for life.

Kolton13

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2019
I take it you want a desert reptile?
I would say get a smaller tortoise or a small uromastyx. Uros are nice because most species are smaller than beardies so it could live in that tank for life.
Any kind of reptile. Doesnt need to be desert. I was gonna do aloe vera and air ferns for the beardie but can change if the reptile does.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Any New Caledonian gecko is cool. Anole colony is also fun.

Kolton13

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2019
Hello Kolton13 Kolton13 ,
I have kept Bearded Dragons in the past and loved them. Their personality and interaction towards humans trumps any other lizard you may find. They are also super tame (you can handle them with ease) and are a very good looking lizard. They need ample heat and lighting. They eat all kinds of different veggies and crickets (they don't need crickets, just a snack once in a while). They are always out in the open which I like also. If I were you I would hold out and wait for some to become available. Every Petco/Petsmart from here to the rockies sells them for about $40. Just my 2 cents. Hope you find one, you won't be disappointed. GL
Interesting. They dont need crickets? This weekend into next I want to setup the tank. I just got my lid for my 40g for my leopard gecko i'm getting here soon. So that tank is finished. But I need to clean out the 50 which is a huge step.

Kolton13

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2019
Any New Caledonian gecko is cool. Anole colony is also fun.
I have a crested. Very awesome. But they need a lot of vertical space. I have a screen tank currently empty. After i'm dont my 50 thats my next project and I want to get a gargoyle or another crested.

Edit: You cant hold anoles if I remember correctly?

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I have a crested. Very awesome. But they need a lot of vertical space. I have a screen tank currently empty. After i'm dont my 50 thats my next project and I want to get a gargoyle or another crested.

Edit: You cant hold anoles if I remember correctly?
Depends on species or individuals. My green is extremely skittish. As a general I’d say they aren’t good for handling. Maybe a Cuban could though.

djsaltynuts

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2020
imo bearded dragons can be pretty uninteresting as they are like the 3rd most popular pet. also imo 50 gallons is not large enough (which ik sounds untrue) but just wait until he surfs the glass and youll see that your tanks wayy too small. i have mine in a 75 and when hes feeling rambunctious i feel bad and take him out but hell go back to where his tank is and surf the outside. a small uromastyx species would be my personal choice for that tanksize(research the specific species you want because they have a gigantic range in size, humidity, and heat requirements. from what ive heard blue tongue skinks trump bearded dragons as the best pet lizard if you could get one i would highly recommend doing so. but finally i think you should find the reptile you want then the tank it needs. the aquarium itself should almost mean nothing to you in cost considering you should be owning whatever reptile you choose for atleast the next 10 years and providing food/care/ LIGHTING(cannot stress how expensive it gets for desert species) which will make the tank almost irrelevant in price. personally if i was going to make the commitment of getting a lizard again id just go all in and buy a frilled lizard or tegu. also 50 gallons are tall and i want you to realize that the lizard will need to be able to get within atleast 8” of its basking bulb which could be tricky depending oh how you set the tank up so you might be better off getting a non desert species which would be allot more relax about this stuff and you could probably scape the tank in a much cooler way. also finally your bearded dragon will ruin the plants you put with him its just a matter of time so if youre to make a cool scape beardies are probably not for you.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store