obtaining a permit to keep restricted species!

TheReefer

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2019
Pennsylvania
Pardon me, Original Poster, I just noticed TheReefer TheReefer 's question and thought later about the thread category. No harm and instrusion meant and actually the subject matter of our posts could impact restricted species.

TheReefer TheReefer , another good point. I am not a microbiologist, I think I may have seen one somewhere on here site. I am sorry I don't remember his avatar name or which thread I saw his post, it has been some time and many threads ago.

Some people dispose of their tank waste water in their plant beds or yards. I think that is generally safe. Many variables can be involved. For instance: how long which pathogens can survive out of water, and making certain your aquarium waste water is not near a drain, ditch or waterway. I think the soil acts like a filter. The fish waste water acts as a safe fertilizer for the plants and lawn. Like I said, I prefer bleach, and allow it to dissipate. Even after bleach dissapation, dilution with some tap water.

I use untreated fish waste water occassionally for the house plants, and of course a little fish waste in the aquariums makes the aquatic plants grow well and is part of the tank cycle.

If you suspect or are certain of a pathogen or a stubborn, suspect or unwanted strain of algae and have more than one tank, make certain your equipment is also sterilized before use in the next tank. You probably know to sterilize the inside and outside of your equipment followed by thorough rinses.
Thank you bringing up a good points TheReefer TheReefer .
Thanks, I use the water for garden use.

RealCrix220

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2017
I was shocked when I found out that Asian arowana were banned in the USA ( this was many years ago now ) is this still the case ?

not to p*as anyone off but these are widely available here in the UK

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Still illegal ☹

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
To me, it’s either a scam or not worth the risk.
I may do some things to find a way to legally keep a snakehead though lol. Closest thing I’ve found is actually a betta macrostoma (both are anabantiformes):
1612742818142.jpeg

Reactions: bettapatua

bettapatua

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2020
To me, it’s either a scam or not worth the risk.
I may do some things to find a way to legally keep a snakehead though lol. Closest thing I’ve found is actually a betta macrostoma (both are anabantiformes):
View attachment 1450405
My country have so many variant (or sp.) of this beautiful creature. Try googling "betta unimaculata". This species have complexities. Your picture show betta macrostoma, a relatives of unimaculata, and also relatives to gouramies. If i knew how to safely send fishes across countries, i will happily sent them for you. Snakehead? They swim happily in river or sewer behind my house. We even use them for medicine ?

Reactions: Deadeye

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
My country have so many variant (or sp.) of this beautiful creature. Try googling "betta unimaculata". This species have complexities. Your picture show betta macrostoma, a relatives of unimaculata, and also relatives to gouramies. If i knew how to safely send fishes across countries, i will happily sent them for you. Snakehead? They swim happily in river or sewer behind my house. We even use them for medicine ?
And now I’ve found something that looks even more like a snakehead! Thanks for the tip!
It must be nice to live in an area where these are common!

Reactions: bettapatua

bettapatua

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2020
And now I’ve found something that looks even more like a snakehead! Thanks for the tip!
It must be nice to live in an area where these are common!
Try betta channoides, snakehead betta. You can guess how it looks from the name ?
I also thinking about how happy i am if i live in south america. I don't have to keep wolf fishes, i can everyday swim with them ?

• Haha
Reactions: Deadeye

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Try betta channoides, snakehead betta. You can guess how it looks from the name ?
I also thinking about how happy i am if i live in south america. I don't have to keep wolf fishes, i can everyday swim with them ?
Ooooh, wolf fish :drool:
Am I crazy if I think that macrostoma and unimaculata look more like snakes than the snakehead betta?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store