What is the fastest breeding snails?

professorjimjam

Dovii
MFK Member
May 26, 2021
I have puffer fishes. 3 Amazon Puffers and 2 Figure8 puffers. I cannot afford buying them worms and snails. I want to breed for them in another tank. as they eat a lot. I want to know how often I need to feed them? and for me to breed snails in another tank for them, what is the best and fastest breeding snails to breed so that I keep the supply chain of my puffers food.

robmcd

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2007
Laguna Beach
I have had Malaysian Trumpet Snails take over a 100 gallon tank and all of the filtration in a matter of months.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Fig 8s are going to need brackish.
For feeding, you lucked out with the puffer with the fastest growing teeth lol (amazons).
For my group of amazons I am culturing pond and rams horn snails. It is a crawl at first, but the population eventually skyrockets. I do t give mine snails often due to not yet having enough, but mine get fed daily (I skip a day once in a while). I rotate frozen bloodworms, frozen mysis shrimp, and freeze dried brine shrimp. I put snails in periodically. I’ll occasionally put in flakes (for the other fish, the puffers might nibble but don’t really care). Each of my 3 has preferences for the types of food I put in. I have successfully gotten 2/3 eating repashy’s grub pie. They go crazy for it. I have since started mixing crushed up cuttlebone in it, and it does wonders with filing down their beaks. Now I just need to get my last one eating it...

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
A number of options, but fastests (IME),
Planorbids - Helisoma, Gyraulus, lay egg masses. Gyraulus may be too small for being worthwhile puffer food.
Thiaridae - Malaysian Trumpet Snails (MTS), viviparous.

In both cases, the separate tank where they can be bred will need a heavy input of food, or the snails will not reproduce much or even thrive. It will also need some water movement, and ideally plants.
Regardless of the snails used and unless you have something like a pond set up to do this snail breeding, I suspect the 5 puffers will quickly outperfom the rate you raise snails, and eat you out of snails in a heartbeat.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I have had Malaysian Trumpet Snails take over a 100 gallon tank and all of the filtration in a matter of months.
MTS do breed very fast. Unfortunately something about their shells makes them bad for puffer teeth. If I’m correct, they are known to break puffer teeth, causing the fish to be unable to eat.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Try also raising ghost/cherry shrimp. They would probably also like crickets. That would likely be a crunchy treat.

professorjimjam

Dovii
MFK Member
May 26, 2021
Fig 8s are going to need brackish.
For feeding, you lucked out with the puffer with the fastest growing teeth lol (amazons).
For my group of amazons I am culturing pond and rams horn snails. It is a crawl at first, but the population eventually skyrockets. I do t give mine snails often due to not yet having enough, but mine get fed daily (I skip a day once in a while). I rotate frozen bloodworms, frozen mysis shrimp, and freeze dried brine shrimp. I put snails in periodically. I’ll occasionally put in flakes (for the other fish, the puffers might nibble but don’t really care). Each of my 3 has preferences for the types of food I put in. I have successfully gotten 2/3 eating repashy’s grub pie. They go crazy for it. I have since started mixing crushed up cuttlebone in it, and it does wonders with filing down their beaks. Now I just need to get my last one eating it...
Thanks. does it mean that if Fig8 is not in brackish water they will die?

Reactions: tlindsey

professorjimjam

Dovii
MFK Member
May 26, 2021
Planorbids - Helisoma, Gyraulus, lay egg masses. Gyraulus may be too small for being worthwhile puffer food.

In both cases, the separate tank where they can be bred will need a heavy input of food, or the snails will not reproduce much or even thrive. It will also need some water movement, and ideally plants.
Regardless of the snails used and unless you have something like a pond set up to do this snail breeding, I suspect the 5 puffers will quickly outperfom the rate you raise snails, and eat you out of snails in a heartbeat.
Thanks. if no matter what I breed, puffers will outperform the rate. then is it okay to just feed them normal bloodworms and earthworms and then if their teeth grows then I just cut them using Colive Oil to sedate them and using bonecutter to cut short their teeth?

professorjimjam

Dovii
MFK Member
May 26, 2021

In both cases, the separate tank where they can be bred will need a heavy input of food.
sorry for my ignorance. I never bred any kind of snails, what type of heavy input of food snails require?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store