Edible Small Freshwater Fish

Acro

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2012
GA
There is a variety of small edible Saltwater Fish that most people are familiar with. For example: Sardines, Anchovies, Herring, Smelt, and Sprats.

I can't think of a single small Freshwater Fish that is commonly eaten. Are there any small edible Freshwater Fish equivalents?

Reactions: Rtc/tsn

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
There is a variety of small edible Saltwater Fish that most people are familiar with. For example: Sardines, Anchovies, Herring, Smelt, and Sprats.

I can't think of a single small Freshwater Fish that is commonly eaten. Are there any small edible Freshwater Fish equivalents?
Idk if you count these as small species but compared to other freshwater fish I do consider them small to almost medium. I frequently eat bluegill and rock bass, along with white bass which aren’t that big (not to be confused with striper or their hybrids). Can’t think of many small freshwater fish though that are anchovy sized that people eat

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK

The fish you mention taste good, hence the huge global demand. Typically they all eat plankton, krill and shrimp type critters which give them tasty flesh.

Although freshwater fish can be eaten i think you'd be hard pressed to find an equivalent to their marine brethren caught on a similar scale. Even trout and salmon, though they have big markets, are nothing compared to the salt water markets.

Reactions: Rtc/tsn

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
If you go to the main fish market in Ho Chi Min City (Saigon) you will see basket upon basket of gouramis, barbs, and catfish we keep in aquariums, for sale a food.
In Central America, and Mexico in the same type inland markets, you would see cichlids like Vieja, Parachromis, and Petania for use as food.

Last edited:

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
In poorer regions of central and eastern Europe people used to eat small cyprinids quite regularly (roach, Rudd..).

If we're talking really small fish, Danio Rerio is dried and ground up for spice in their native regions.

Reactions: Krismo962

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
In poorer regions of central and eastern Europe people used to eat small cyprinids quite regularly (roach, Rudd..).

If we're talking really small fish, Danio Rerio is dried and ground up for spice in their native regions.
Lol, you'd have to be pretty much down on your luck to eat roach and rudd. Beautiful fish to look at, caught plenty in my time, but certainly not much going for them taste wise. I likened their flesh to cotton wool with pins in, lol.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Michigan has freshwater smelt. My grandfather used to catch tons on them. They are very tasty. I don't think Ive had saltwater ones ever so I couldn't tell you if they are better or not.

Reactions: Kelly_Aquatics
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store