Can copper kill blue crayfish?

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Yes, copper is very dangerous to inverts and fish without scales (like loaches and puffers).

Reactions: professorjimjam

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
Potentially. Copper is not considered safe to use with any invertebrate. If you can remove the crayfish to a temporary holding tank during treatment that would be best.
What are you attempting to treat?

professorjimjam

Dovii
MFK Member
May 26, 2021
fishguy1978 fishguy1978
Thanks. I do not even know if my fishes are sick, but they are acting a bit weird, so I thought if copper will not kill the invertebrates then I will use otherwise No. now that I know, I will not use copper.

Reactions: Deadeye

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
fishguy1978 fishguy1978
Thanks. I do not even know if my fishes are sick, but they are acting a bit weird, so I thought if copper will not kill the invertebrates then I will use otherwise No. now that I know, I will not use copper.
Copper based meds are not recommended for the "I think their sick" situation. Copper can build up in the aquarium to lethal quantities and without the proper tests best not to use it unless really needed. I would recommend something like paraguard or salt but only after more time spent observing.

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
fishguy1978 fishguy1978
So you don’t know if your fish are sick but they’re acting strange so you’re first idea is to put a bunch of meds in the tank? How are they acting strange? What’s the water parameters. How often are water charges.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store