Is this Jag Fry/Juvi a male, female or just too young to tell?

Marick

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 3, 2021
@Roksor thanks for speedy reply. Will do.
Damn the wait sucks ,I guess its why the sexed Jags are way more pricey.

Marick

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 3, 2021
He/she is currently staying alone in a 125Gallon tank. Not a great eater, seems to prefer scavenging for the food after i leave. Its all good though, will wait a few more months.

Reactions: Tony A.

stiker

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2014
He/she is currently staying alone in a 125Gallon tank. Not a great eater, seems to prefer scavenging for the food after i leave. Its all good though, will wait a few more months.
A small fish, alone in a big pond is going to be shy, reserved and not the strongest feeder, especially when you are around (you being much larger than the fish is a sign of danger to him/her)

In the wild large schools of smaller dither type species are present, the larger cichlids uses these as indicators of danger (when all the dithers bolt off and hide the larger cichlids know danger is present)

If you are so adamant on wanting a male I recommended getting another 4-5 and growing them out together and once you can sex them picking your favourite male and selling the rest.

I hope you also have a larger aquarium. A 125G is not large enough for a fully grown male Jaguar.

..puSkar..

Dovii
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2020
A 125G is not large enough for a fully grown male Jaguar.
Agreed . 125 may work for sometime until maybe 12-14" but for a fully mature 24" monster I'd recommend atleast a 7ft*30" tank . And if you get that sized tank do get a female and firm a pair . If your jag turns out to be a female a 125 could work maybe for life .

Reactions: Marick

Marick

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 3, 2021
Thanks for the info, I thought a 125 would be fine for a lone fish.
Will start to worry about a bigger tank when i am able to sex it then.

Reactions: ..puSkar..

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
Thanks for the info, I thought a 125 would be fine for a lone fish.
Will start to worry about a bigger tank when i am able to sex it then.
125 should be fine for atleast a couple years. Once they start getting 14-16 inches is when you would really need to worry about an upgrade imo.

Reactions: Marick

Cichlids-r-beasts

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2017
Agreed . 125 may work for sometime until maybe 12-14" but for a fully mature 24" monster I'd recommend atleast a 7ft*30" tank . And if you get that sized tank do get a female and firm a pair . If your jag turns out to be a female a 125 could work maybe for life .
I don’t think I’ve ever heard of a 2 foot male jag in the hobby, wild caught maybe 18+ inches, but most male jags in the hobby get to 12-16 inches

• Love
Reactions: dr exum

..puSkar..

Dovii
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2020
I don’t think I’ve ever heard of a 2 foot male jag in the hobby, wild caught maybe 18+ inches, but most male jags in the hobby get to 12-16 inches
Could be but I'd suggest a 30" wide tank even for a 18" jag . I have 8"-9" fish in a 18" wide tank and it seems tight

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store