Silver dollars at Fish Story Aquarium and Rescue

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Thank you. Teach me how you sexed it, if you will, please.
Of course - Pictures attached (some yours, some from others, some mine). This works for many species in several genera, but there is some variation. Specifically, males will have a BI-LOBED anal fin, females will have a straighter anal fin (although in some species it is somewhat curved), often with a longer, more colorful hook. In Myleus, Myloplus, Tometes, and similar genera, the females will have a longer, more colorful hook. In Metynnis, females will not have a hook (some exceptions such as M. hypsauchen, guaporensis and to some extent, M. fasciatus), but the anal fin will still be more colorful in all 16 spp.
Pictures in order -
Pic 1 - male metynnis
Pic 2 - 2 male Myloplus
Pic 3- female Myloplus
Pic 4 - Female Metynnis
Pic 5 - Male Metynnis
Pic 6 - Female Myloplus

I have been in awe of your great, humongous tanks and the troops of Silver Dollars (and other fish) you have.
Thanks for continuing to post! (and sorry when they die).
Cheers!

Pic 1 - male metynnis

Male Metynnis.png

Pic 2 - 2 male Myloplus

Male Myloplus.png

Pic 3- female Myloplus

Female Myloplus.png

Pic 4 - Female Metynnis

SilverDollars_29May2019_JILL_M.maculatusCOMP.jpg

Pic 5 - Male Metynnis

SilverDollars_29May2019_JACK_M.maculatus_COMP.jpg

Pic 6 - Female Myloplus

Female Myloplus (not yours).png

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Thank you so very much! I appreciate it. I hope I've edited your post labeling the photos correctly, as you intended. Check, please.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
An accidental death. The 1800 gal lost one pump of the two and water got real low. Everyone survived ok except this red hook, looks female, she spazzed out and hit her head/nose too hard too many times.

9", ~5 years old

100_9649 (2).JPG

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Three new common silver dollars join two others in a 240 gal. One has a badly bruised, swollen and bulging eye but in several days it has surprisingly quickly recovered.

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Look forward to seeing your new dollars in more detail, to allow seeing what they actually are.
Remember, there is not really such thing as 'common silver dollars'. What people often refer to as 'common' or 'regular' silver dollars, are species in the genus Metynnis. At this time, there are ~14 known species of Metynnis, 5 of which are common in the hobby in the USA. But who knows what may appear here and there.... When you can, some photos or video.
I have adult specimens of 3 species, and just got a fourth, 4 young tiger dollars (M. fasciatus), still in quarantine.
Thanks for sharing!

• Love

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Good to hear from the SD teacher of mine :) Thank you. I remain your faithful and appreciative pupil. Yes, I should have said Metynnis. By common, I meant, perhaps erroneously, that I am excluding all the "fancy" ones, non-Metynnis. I know, I profess to be all for knowledge but speak like an ignorant newbie :)

In the video I linked above, I filmed them in tank as well. They are the smallest three. The two they joined are significantly bigger. If it is hard to make out what they are in the video, I will take photos and post them. LMK, please. They are definitely not tiger. Faint spots on the dorsal side, just like most of them have.

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Thanks for responding and quickly. I apologize that I did not watch the whole video before and thus, did not see the side views. Will need closer pictures but they look look like Metynnis altidorsalis, to be confirmed. Lucky you. I am looking for two females.
I am not SD teacher, as I am just learning myself. But I do have a thing for SDs and have been studying them . But you are the one with the amazing big tanks, big fish of all kinds, and the one many of us look up to. Thanks for what you do (must be your passion) and mostly thank you for sharing with everybody!

• Love

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
I'm interested in how you get these fish? Do you rescue them from public aquariums, local fishkeepers, or do you buy them? How does one find you out?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store