Yes
If yes, what is your ammonia?
0 ppm
If yes, what is your nitrite?
0 ppm
If yes, what is your nitrate?
5-10 ppm
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
81-90%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every week
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
I recently got me a little breeding project of yuanbao goldfish.
I had ordered a total of 6, but one was a butterfly and was just going to be a pet.
I have them in a 75 gallon tank (I know it's small, they're getting upgraded to a 125 in the next week or two) and have been doing twice weekly 90% water changes to keep up with them.

However, my butterfly arrived very lethargic. No other symptoms. He was still eating, just not active. He would just drift around the tank with his fins hanging.
One of my male yuanbao had what looked like a white film and some white spots on his wen, otherwise very active and had a good appetite and had no symptoms, so I chalked it up to a wierd color variation (I don't know much about goldfish color).
I've been keeping an eye on the butterfly in hopes that something would pop up and give me a better idea on how to deal with it.
About 2 days ago, my butterfly developed dropsy and he died last night. Up until the dropsy appeared, he was still eating and just lethargic. When I was scooping him out of the tank, I noticed the male had what looked like the starts of HITH. He was still active and still eating. I've dealt with it before, so figured outside of some extra work on my part, it's no big deal and the little guy will be fine.
However, upon checking in on him today, his HITH has turned into massive ulcers all over his body and it looks like his "skin" (not sure what to call it) is turning into jelly. He's extremely lethargic, has no appetite, has labored breathing, and just floats at the top of the water. When I took the picture below, his skin was falling off in small bits. I'm going to cut my losses on this guy and euthanize him, as he has no skin on half of his head and I really hate seeing the poor thing in this condition and I honestly don't see him getting any better.

As far as the remaining goldfish, they seem perfectly fine. All active, all eating, with the exception of one of my females that looks like she has the same white film and a couple of white spots on her wen. I'm concerned this may be the starts of the same thing that my male has. At this point, I'm wanting more of a "I need to nip this in the bud now to save these last 4" kind of treatment.

As far as my current treatment for them, I don't know what to do, as I've never seen this before, nor have I dealt with something that takes over so fast. I dosed the tank with aquarium salt at 1 tablespoon per 3 gallons, but I know this probably won't fix anything. I just feel so darn helpless. I'm assuming that this is something bacterial.

My current meds on hand are paraguard, general cure, maracyn, kanaplex, fish mox, and ich-x.
I also just ordered metroplex, but it won't be in until Saturday at the soonest.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrites: 0 ppm
Nitrates: 5-10 ppm (looks like it could be both, so I'm going to say 10 ppm)

90% water changes every Wednesday and Sunday, but I'm more than happy to increase these if it will save my goldfish.

The first picture is the day I got the fish, and the white spots that was on his wen is circled.
The second picture is now, before euthanasia.
The third picture is the white spots and film and my female.

20220512_204623.jpg

20220512_200309.jpg

20220512_211423.jpg

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
kno4te kno4te
I feel like I’ve seen this in my own goldfish years ago, but I wouldn’t be able to tell you what it is. I’d hate to steer you in the wrong direction and make it worse.

Reactions: Scrappy71113

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I’d suggest dosing the maracyn with kanamycin. If you can get furan2 then use that with the kanamycin instead.

Scrappy71113

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2021
I’d suggest dosing the maracyn with kanamycin. If you can get furan2 then use that with the kanamycin instead.
I'll check out the pet stores to see if I can find any furan2. eBay seems to be the only place I'm finding it online. I'm assuming kanaplex is kanamycin... ?

Reactions: Deadeye

Scrappy71113

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2021
kno4te kno4te
I feel like I’ve seen this in my own goldfish years ago, but I wouldn’t be able to tell you what it is. I’d hate to steer you in the wrong direction and make it worse.
I wish i could find any kind of info about this online. Google keeps pulling up fin rot.
I'm definitely going to be contacting the seller I got them from. I don't expect any kind of refund or anything, but their fish are pretty expensive and hopefully they can give me some insight or possibly prevent any more fish that may be infected from getting out.

Scrappy71113

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2021
Well, I emailed the seller and explained everything that happened and sent photos.
They told me the white spots are new wen growth (I don't know how true that is) and they told me to add aquarium salt and methaline blue to the water. I'm going to stick with what you guys tell me because the salt and methaline blue is very... generic, and correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that for fungal infections and ich?

However, they are going to reimburse me for the goldfish, which I really wasn't expecting.

Scrappy71113

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2021
Another goldfish has popped up with dropsy and another has become lethargic with no other symptoms. I'm at a loss. There's so much going on with them.

• Sad

Scrappy71113

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2021
Good news, I think the lethargic goldfish was just sleepy. She was back up and about today. I'm still going to keep an eye on her though.

On a side note, I'm debating on breeding them now especially while they're still acting healthy. I'm concerned with the ethics behind it though. The whole reason I got them was to breed them, and my thought process is I spent a little over $300 for these fish, and if I can get eggs from them, it won't be a huge waste of money, time, or effort. However, the ethics part is, should I really be breeding such sickly fish? I get that fancy goldfish aren't the healthiest, but I've never seen them this unhealthy. Could whatever these fish have get passed on to the fry through the egg? To top it off, I really wanted them to be a bit bigger before I tried breeding them. Should I just cut my losses and start over?
What are your opinions?

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
If you just got them, a lot of these issues are part of the quarantine process until things get sorted out. Shipping is rough on them, especially if not packed well.

Those white spots are common on fancy goldfish…it’s likely dead cells on the wen where there isn’t enough blood flow. It goes away with clean water and time.

Dropsy could be genetic but also caused by bad water conditions, over feeding, or feeding the wrong foods, or feeding when it’s very cold. It could be a lot of things.

Do lots and lots of water changes, get water into the mid 70’s, add salt, and go easy on the feedings until things settle.

Also, ethics is up to you. They’ve been breed for these traits for 100’s of years and it’s not going to stop anytime soon. They are just animal that have special care requirements like English Bulldogs. They snore, are extra gaseous, and get infections between skin folds if not wiped often. You don’t ever have to own an English Bulldog or breed them but those that do, they enjoy them and put the extra care into raising them.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store