Sign of the times

Friller2009

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2021
Australia
Here in oz lots of people were taking their dogs and cats to shelters or even trying to get them euthanised at the start of the Covid outbreak as there were reports of pets spreading the virus to humans.
It was a different world back then. I recall some of the Vego activists were going nuts over that being like "People can't take care of animals".
After a while everyone wanted pets in lockdown and prices went crazy. Now
A Current Affair for half of covid was just old blokes getting scammed from buying fake dogs.
The prices are insane. Not really well versed on dog prices but French Bulldogs went through the roof.
We are copping the high power prices here but haven’t heard of anyone getting rid of reptiles or fish yet, I have noticed a lack of variety in the local LFS which may be related as dispoyincome is dropping so they probably don’t want slow moving fish lingering in the shop for a long time when they can be turning over lots of $5 tetras and guppies
The power prices are slowly draining me. Can't wait till I can get my skinks outside so I don't have to worry about costs. People just tend to sell their reptiles on Reptile Classifieds when they are getting rid of them. I think people will just chuck the fish into the local creek, only to cause massive ecological problems.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
I like my fish they are my pets.
But my dog is like family.
I would give up things for myself before I would give up my dog.
How people can take on an animal and let it become part of your life and then just walk away, l will never understand.
It would literally have to be my or my family’s life at risk before I could give up my dog.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
How people can take on an animal and let it become part of your life and then just walk away, l will never understand.
It would literally have to be my or my family’s life at risk before I could give up my dog.
You are obviously a committed responsible pet owner.

We have a "tag line" in the UK, and it usually gets thrown about around Xmas time when kids are maybe pestering their parents for a pet. Sometimes we see adverts on TV. The tag line is "a puppy isn't just for Xmas, it's for life."

But even though we see advertising campaigns highlighting responsibility we still hear mass tales of unwanted puppies being dumped every new year.

My point is, this irresponsible activity is rife even during the good times. When things go south, as they are now on a global scale, poor pets are neglected even more so.

aussieman57

Aimara
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2021
Well said. Only thing I would add is my dogs ARE FAMILY and I would never give them up.

TwoTankAmin

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2008
New York
Fish sites are dying because people today want a fast answer more than a correct one. Social media is where information goes to die.

And then people can be pretty stupid at times. I mean consider how many poor folks have multiple children for which they cannot care. Why is anybody surprised when people deal with animals/pets the same way?

I have always been guided by one overriding principle in the hobby. Since I put fisf etc. into a glass box to live, I am responsible for their quality of life. As much as I would have loved to have a dog over the years, i also knew that I could not give it the care it would need. So I am dogless. I simply could not do what it takes to mistreat animals or to let one in my care starve to death or suffer because of my inaction. So I will not keep an animla or pet I am not sure I will be able to provide a good life. All it takes is a conscience and a realistic assessment of one's present and future ability to care for it/them.

My 2 cents worth, well with inflation maybe ny 3 cents worth ......

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
If anything we should take it as a sign to prepare now. Make your setups as cost and energy efficient as possible. Looking more and more like I'll never ever have a high powered monster reef tank. I'm already scared of the costs of running all that shiznit.

Friller2009

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2021
Australia
If anything we should take it as a sign to prepare now. Make your setups as cost and energy efficient as possible. Looking more and more like I'll never ever have a high powered monster reef tank. I'm already scared of the costs of running all that shiznit.
Solar panels seem to be the future of people who keep large animals. A reptile bloke near me was paying around 600 a quarter. Then he switched everything to solar panels. Saved him a lot of money.

aussieman57

Aimara
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2021
Energy prices will come back down at some point. In the meantime we just have to endure the pain.

Reactions: Friller2009
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store