Filtration for a 125

lil_pendejo

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2009
Northeast Illannoy
Ok... A little more info. I can't do a sump due to the objection of my wife. She puts up with quite enough from me being a firearms dealer. On top of that, a sump is out because one of my daughters gets into everything and we're both worried that she'd end up getting into the sump and screwing it up. There will be a sump later in this tanks life, just not for the foreseeable future.

I will admit that I grew up in the hobby using sumps and HOBs and definitely prefer sumps. I have heard decent things about the Tidal line of filters. Have HOBs come far enough that they do that good of a job? I have no issue with buying a couple of Tidal 110s as long as they will out perform the FX6. I already have one FX6 and can't return it so it's getting used without a doubt. It was the first thing I purchased after deciding to get back into the hobby.

I would consider the 2262 but too pricey at the moment.

dmyersWv

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2022
As far as canisters go fluval is the best I've had. I would recommend the tidal for a hob. Mine have been very reliable, and easy to clean.

Fishnkdub

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 3, 2019
Québec City, Canada
Have HOBs come far enough that they do that good of a job?
They haven't changed a lot in the past 25 years or so. They do an okay job for the price, are easy to keep clean so that they don't turn into a nitrate factory. Just stay clear of the ones that use cartridges. Planned obsolescence you know.

All filters have their pros and cons. Not everybody wants the same out of their filters. You just gotta figure out what is most important to you.

lil_pendejo

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2009
Northeast Illannoy
Being an aquarist is a significantly more involved activity.
That's debatable. I'm home based and my house has been turned into a fortress.

As far as canisters go fluval is the best I've had. I would recommend the tidal for a hob. Mine have been very reliable, and easy to clean.
I used to run sumps, 407s, FX4s and the Eheim classics before I exited stage left. I love them all and that might be why I'm hesitant of going with HOBs.

They haven't changed a lot in the past 25 years or so. They do an okay job for the price, are easy to keep clean so that they don't turn into a nitrate factory. Just stay clear of the ones that use cartridges. Planned obsolescence you know.

All filters have their pros and cons. Not everybody wants the same out of their filters. You just gotta figure out what is most important to you.
Not having changed much is my main concern. I always hated the noise and them just not doing as good of a job as I wanted. That was the reason I jumped over to canisters and sumps. When I got my first stingray, I was worried that the HOBs wouldn't do a good enough job and I was right. Although I don't see going back to rays stingrays and definitely not in this tank, I never know where the hobby will take me and I just might wind up with a bunch of water pigs again. If that happens, I don't want to have to buy a bunch of new equipment.

dmyersWv

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2022
Most HOB filters are ok at best. I like the Tidal for a few reasons. Sicce pump very reliable. Pump mounted in the tank. No priming needed ever. Large and flexible container. I use a lot of sponge filters. The tidal have allowed me to increase water movement and clarity.

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
The way I see it is, a cavalier will get you to pretty much the same places a mercedes will. But not at the same expense or maintenance
This is a great example since it also completely applies to the opposite point youre trying to make.

No cavaliers getting anyone anywhere today. They havent been made for a couple decades and have all fallen apart it seems since i havent seen one or their sunfire brethren in working order for years.

Plenty of old benzies rollin around though...

Fishnkdub

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 3, 2019
Québec City, Canada
This is a great example since it also completely applies to the opposite point youre trying to make.

No cavaliers getting anyone anywhere today. They havent been made for a couple decades and have all fallen apart it seems since i havent seen one or their sunfire brethren in working order for years.

Plenty of old benzies rollin around though...
My opinion is that sump are better in almost every point. Then I said that I'd go with hob's for cost and ease of maintenance. That's it.
Like I said, they have their pros and cons. The cavalier thing was only an image, cheap as hell, not winning any show n shine but getting you to work.
I'm not trying to win a bicycle, only giving an opinion. And for the record, I have an aquaclear 200 here that's at least as old a I am, so they can last too

lil_pendejo

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2009
Northeast Illannoy
My opinion is that sump are better in almost every point. Then I said that I'd go with hob's for cost and ease of maintenance. That's it.
Like I said, they have their pros and cons. The cavalier thing was only an image, cheap as hell, not winning any show n shine but getting you to work.
I'm not trying to win a bicycle, only giving an opinion. And for the record, I have an aquaclear 200 here that's at least as old a I am, so they can last too

I agree that sumps are better but thanks to my wife's cats and our youngest kid, sumps are out of the question for now. I don't know which of them are worse but I'm betting it's the kid. There isn't a child proof lock that she can't defeat and the worry is that she'll either throw something poisons to the fish in the sump or somehow knock the overflow box and cause it to lose suction.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store