Best frozen vegetables for plecos?

PacKRaT

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2007
Greer, SC
I love my plecos, I feed them all kinds of stuff. I've read and seen frozen vegetables like peas being used. I want to buy some frozen vegetables, because we don't eat things they would accept fresh every day (shame on us) , to maintain a healthy diet for a clown, a rubber lip, and a spotted sailfin (gibbiceps), all juvenile. Any good suggestions? I also heard fresh potato is good, should I blanch it or just stick it in raw in the veggie clip?

PacKRaT

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2007
Greer, SC
AquataHolic420;1135806; said:
CUCUMBERS/ZUCCHINI!
I do occasionally get those fresh, it's just that honestly, I can't stand that stuff, and we don't have those veggies around the house. When its that time of year, I'll get one just for those guys every now and then. They just seem so finiky, maybe they eat when I sleep. I was hoping to buy a bag of maybe frozen peas, I won't use canned 'cause of added salt, or is that bad? maybe carrots? That way I know at least they would get their veggies...:crazy:

AquataHolic420

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2006
Neeeew Hampshaaa
Cukes/Zukes. go to WALMART and get one. and yes just throw it on the clip.

PacKRaT

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2007
Greer, SC
Alright, I went to walmart and bought a cucumber. Instead of using a clip, is it okay to blanch the food so it sinks?

AquataHolic420

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2006
Neeeew Hampshaaa
I always just stuck a piece of cuke wedged onto a rock in the tank so it sank... i dnno

Ianab

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2007
New Zealand
PacKRaT;1136041; said:
Alright, I went to walmart and bought a cucumber. Instead of using a clip, is it okay to blanch the food so it sinks?
Stick a fork in it, that will sink it ;)

Other veges you can try is mushroom, just get the white button ones, they keep in the fridge for a few days. Frozen green beans can be good, you can keep a bag in the freezer and defrost a few at a time. Potato is OK raw, but best to soak them for a while and to wash out the starch. Sweet potato as well. Experiment :D

Cheers

Ian

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
I buy fresh veggies just for my fish, they are so cheap I don't mind throwing away the uneaten portion. Also you can supplement the diet with algae wafers and other sinking pellets and tablets.

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
Check the dietry thread for a load of ideas... theres a whole list.
Cucumber isn't very nutritional though, and there are also things a lot better than zuc. Potatoes are good but you have to wash them/soak them to get out as much starch as possible, these will sink by themselves. Melon, peas, carrots... like I said theres a list. There really is no need to blanch the veggies as you are saying goodbye to the nutritional content. I do cook shelled peas though to make a paste sometimes. If you go to the dietry thread, click the link to the best prepared foods, and CUP has posted a link on making this kind of paste, which you can customize for your plecos needs.

PacKRaT

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2007
Greer, SC
Thanks guys. I was hoping for some creative answers like those. Cukes aren't that nutritious, that's good to know. My plecos always get wafers, and were getting veggies fairly regularly. I'll go by a bag of unseasoned frozen green beans, and blanch some potato.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store