Fishkill in Pasig River, Philippines

jowee

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2007
Philippines
hi. i just want to share with you some photos. i took these pictures in 2005 in mandaluyong city.

i don't know what killed them.
could it be salt water?
there are about thousands of plecos floating in the river.
there are no other species floating dead other than a few catfish.

wataugachicken

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2007
Charlotte, NC
well, it looks pretty dirty with all the garbage floating around. there are some chemicals that will move out of the water column and just linger in the substrate of the river, like PCB's. a chemical spill of that type, or something else that is denser than water and falls to the bottom of the river, would be the most likely cause of death that would affect just the bottom-dwelling plecos.

arkmann

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2007
The photos denotes tragedy of both the river and the fishes but somehow it brings me good memories of home... Haven't been back home in 6 years and counting...

Lupin

Viviendo la vida loca!
MFK Member
jowee;1157048; said:
i don't know what killed them.
could it be salt water?
there are about thousands of plecos floating in the river.
there are no other species floating dead other than a few catfish.
Must be rising levels of toxins from the garbage. As far as I can remember though, I've read a local newspaper the government is running a clean-up to revive the Pasig River which has long been considered 'dead river' as it holds little or no aquatic life. The plecos shown are proof that plecos have invaded some water systems a few years back.

deangelo

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2006
Pilipinas/ Los Angeles
Lupin;1194033; said:
Must be rising levels of toxins from the garbage. As far as I can remember though, I've read a local newspaper the government is running a clean-up to revive the Pasig River which has long been considered 'dead river' as it holds little or no aquatic life. The plecos shown are proof that plecos have invaded some water systems a few years back.
salt would be the last thing that would kill the plecos or any other fish in that river..i agree with lupin that the pasig river is a dead river..

Death Pony

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
That's disgusting!!! A true tragedy right there.

mercury904

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Philippines
I think they intentionally put them there and had to kill them after

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store