Biting Worm

>:(

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2007
Elsinore
Has anyone ever run into anything like this?

My sister and her boyfriend have two baby red ear sliders which went into an old tank of mine about a month ago. Well, my sister decided she wanted to redo their tank, so she got some of my old gravel which I had washed in boiling water and then put out in a bucket in case she wanted it. The gravel was left to sit until today when my sister took it and poured it into the tank. These long stringy white worms swam up from the gravel and when my sister's boyfriend reached in to get the plants out of the water, the worms bit his arm up.

I have no idea what they are, all of my searches keep turning up results for planaria. I haven't seen the worms, but from what my sister says, they're at least an inch long each, thin, and apparently vicious. Any ideas?

Fish Eat Fish

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2007
Mankato
sounds like a tall tale to me...I highly doubt the worms could distinguish his hand and decide to attack...

is your sister older???

sounds like somthing I would tell my little brother back in the day if I wanted to keep him away from my tank.

scubasteve06

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2008
SC
youtube.com
Ringworm roundworm???

pendog66

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2008
ohio
www.youtube.com
2004exrider;1676942; said:
Manbearpig? but on a serious note, maybe the larva of a "Biting Midge". They're know to suck the blood of people or other animals.

Jimmy

lol thats great i was thinking maybe bigfoot

>:(

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2007
Elsinore
Fish Eat Fish;1678861; said:
sounds like a tall tale to me...I highly doubt the worms could distinguish his hand and decide to attack...

is your sister older???

sounds like somthing I would tell my little brother back in the day if I wanted to keep him away from my tank.
lol No, this is my younger sister.

I actually went to her house today, and they showed me the remains of the "worms" after they bleached the you know what out of them. They weren't an inch long, more like half an inch.

I guess what happened was that the worms were wiggling around in the water, my sister freaked, and her boyfriend reached in to get the plants because she was yelling at him to do it. The worms just happened to be near his hand and went for him because he was touching them. I saw the rash on his arm, so something did bite him, whether or not it was the worms, I can't say.

MommyJulia

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
A, A
That just sounds gross...I would have probably freaked too. It's one thing to have your own fish come after your hand but to have these weird worms wiggling around sounds disgusting.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store