What are my Cichlids doing when they Shake/Vibrate?

whitexboii

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2007
Edmonton Alberta Canada
What are my cichlids doing when they shake/vibrate? They all are doing it lately, usually it is just the acei that do it

Tongue33

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2006
Utah
www.davescichlids.com
Could be many things...

Good or bad..

Are they scratching?

Are they facing off??

What all fish are in the tank?

Notice any ich?

Or any females holding?

whitexboii

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2007
Edmonton Alberta Canada
i've noticed no scratching, they do do alot of scrapping, like nothing that appears too serious, just darting at eachother to chase the other away, it always seems to be the red zebra and one of the acei doing it to the other fish. i haven't noticed any ich. the fish in the tank can be seen in "My Tank Setup" under my 56 gallon

mgkot1

Feeder Fish
Apr 29, 2008
Australia
My bet is if it is a male that they are trying to get it on with the ladies.

If that is the case it is called "shimmering"

Michiel

whitexboii

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2007
Edmonton Alberta Canada
when the fish are "shimmering" are they somewhat violent? because the red zebra is chasing anything that goes near the middle of the tank. should i remove him from the tank? or if i removed a jewel and an acei would that possibly bring down the red zebra's aggression level? i'm planning on adding more hiding places which i hope helps as well

killrmack

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2007
Foley Al.
killrmack.tumblr.com
my Africans do something to that affect but its kind of strange they all seem healthy but every once in a while they seem to just shake like a full body shiver

cichlidgirl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2008
upstate ny
sounds like breeding behaivior. The male will aggressivly keep all other males and even other females away from his girlfriend when courting. Dont be suprised if you have a holding female very soon.

Around the female the male will:
Very colorful male(if the fish is orange he will be bright orange etc..)
Very fast shimmying,
Very fast shaking,
Overall appears very hyper very aggressive and obsessed with one particular female fish.
Flares his fins up around a female and "poses" directly in front of her like : hey look at me ..
flares and shakes at the female darts off returns seconds later to shake at her again.
(Both fish )Slow circling over a flat rock or sand.

To other males the male will:
Attack any fish that comes close (male or other female)
Break off spawning behavior to chase away a male then return to female
Over all be highly aggressive running around like a chicken with its head cut off (no offense to any chicken lovers lol)

A holding female will often go off by herself, sometimes at the top of a crowded tank, and look like she has a mouth full of food, she will not eat food. but other wise appear normal.

Those are the breeding signs I have seen in my fish.

CG

Cichlid02

Feeder Fish
Sep 13, 2008
minneapolis
I have the samething happened on one of my male and female cichlid but looks like the male one have some white spot that's about small sand size on his body (almost all over his body).. and also the female one shakes too but she doesn't havet he spots on her.. any one know is this normal, or disease (itch?) or fungies or anything... Please help thank you..

KZ

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store