Thai D pulcher info

DiXoN

English MFKer
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2004
Sunderland, England
Here is some links to info on the D pulcher that was once found in thailand.
I have read they claim they are extinct now and this info confirms this but i have also read (i cant find where yet) that some may be found in some tributaries of the rivers they were originally found.
These links to documents are from 2005/07.

2005 ...... http://chm-thai.onep.go.th/chm/publication.html#V1 vol 16 section 2

2007 ...... http://www.mrcmekong.org/download/free_download/Mekong-Fisheries-of-Thailand-Eng.pdf

Enjoy.
Dixon

Jesse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
That's sad. Recent postings by a Thai hobbyist on another forum also support the conclusion that the Chao Phraya population of Datnioides pulcher is extinct. Apparently, the "Chao Phraya" widebars that are advertised in Japan are actually all from the Mekong basin, but have physical characteristics that resemble Thai widebars. There are captive breeding efforts afoot, but they have yet to yield any success. I've got my fingers crossed. There may come a time when widebar dats are as common in the hobby as bala sharks, which are although extinct or nearly extinct in their native Thailand, exist in the hobby due to the success of captive breeding operations.

endi

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2006
toronto, Canada
very sad indeed.... hope someone in the near future can breed these beautiful animals

TCZeli

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2007
NJ
great info, thanks for sharing.

Ade

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2008
London
Hi Dixon,
I am new to MFK forum, your links were very informative.

I go to Hong Kong quite frequently, and the Tigers there are fantastic, real good grade and quality. Why are so many people in Uk having problems with colour stability within Datnoids, especially IT, including me?

Are some datnids commercially farmed? or are all wild caught?

DiXoN

English MFKer
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2004
Sunderland, England
i think at the moment datnoids are all wild caught but there have been some rumours of captive breeding but we are yet too see conclusive proof.
as for IT being unstable well that just the way they are, my current IT which i am selling in one tank was stable but in its current tank is not but when i have had ST's in both these tanks they were stable its strange but how it is.

bluee

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2009
My Hometown
There is a rummor that malaysian are breeding the datnoid pulcher now.
I was lucky to get 2 of them about 4" last summer. they've been stable since the 2nd days they were in the new home. My indo is never stable even they come out and swim alot more than st, ntt and ngt.

chirachai

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2009
Bangkok,Thailand.
In Thailand , there are many species started to rarely found.Datnioides is one. One problem is that we didn't research or discover seriouly in some places that many ever told that they found.Why? Most don't understand.For me,technology,money,education or cooperation and etc. I'm sorry for my language is not good.If I can speak Thai ,I tell you many reasons.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store