dovii tankmates???????????

bennet

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2007
australia
just wandering anyone suggest a good tank mate for my foot long male dovii?want him to be more aggressive and competitive for food.of course i want the other fish to not be killed.any ideas?????/:naughty:

haynchinook334

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
\m/(O_o)\m/
gold fish, guppies,...... how big is he?

danny2875

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2008
Astoria, NY
not really good tankmates for a male dovii. cause when he reaches monster size, he can take out pretty much almost anything. you can but a midas cichlid or a red devil. managuense cichlid will do fine. any of the large cichlids that can hold their own. male festae is also good. blue freckled monster ( umbie ) make sure that these other fish are just as big.

balton777

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2007
Rowlett, Tx
The first tankmate my Dovii accepted was a Pike cichlid. A Crenicichla sp. Venezuela to be exact. After that I tried my Festae and some bichirs and he leaves them alone too. Actually, I may have to separate my Festae because she won't leave the Dovii alone :WHOA:. I would try a Pike and give it a place to retreat where the Dovii can't get to....just in case.

balton777

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2007
Rowlett, Tx
Just remember that most Dovii won't accept any tankmates without LOTS of space. Especially since it's had the tank to itself.

Be ready to remove it if it's not working out.

Chago09

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
Ontario
I have kept Bichirs with the worst of of the worst. My Trimac was more aggressive then any fish by far, I'll guarantee that. Although once I added a Bichir that was a decent size and the Trimac never even looked at him once. Didn't even bother. I think its because they swim in different water columns and the cichlids don't look at them as competition for food so they leave them alone. I think any cichlid that swims in the dovii area and eats his food from the water surface is gonna get the snot beat out of them. A bichir will eat food as it hits the floor and there pretty cool fish too.

Mudfrog

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2005
VA
Chago09;2237230; said:
I have kept Bichirs with the worst of of the worst. My Trimac was more aggressive then any fish by far, I'll guarantee that. Although once I added a Bichir that was a decent size and the Trimac never even looked at him once. Didn't even bother. I think its because they swim in different water columns and the cichlids don't look at them as competition for food so they leave them alone. I think any cichlid that swims in the dovii area and eats his food from the water surface is gonna get the snot beat out of them. A bichir will eat food as it hits the floor and there pretty cool fish too.
My Dovii went after my bichirs as well.

cookiemonster

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2007
Washington
It would have to be a non cichlid. In my experience, dovii will eat smaller cichlids and kill anything that's too big. However, tinfoil barbs are too fast to be caught, and bichirs have that tough skin.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store