Aquatic turtle out of water for...?

twk1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2005
Home
Just curious.... how long would a fully aquatic turtle be able to stay out of water for? For example florida soft shell turtle, Frt, etc.

cguarino30

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
USA
depends on a lot of things, if you were to put them out of water, but in an extremely moist environment (damp moss, etc) they could probably exist for a long time, but if you put them on some sand with a heat lamp, I imagine they would die quite quickly. Are you trying to move them or something? I would suggest that you try to move them as quickly as possible, and ensure that they stay relatively moist (use a spraybottle full of tankwater, maybe?) If you're going to try to keep one in a terrarium for a few weeks or something, don't, it's not a good idea.

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
i dunno but they look awesome

jartist15

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2009
canada
i bought mine at an expo (florida softshell) they had it in basically a plastic sandwich box! lol it had some paper towel under it that was soaked and water in the bottom. basically very little it had to have been in there for at least 8 hours

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
Depends on the turtle. Softshell vs FRT are two very different things. Also depends on transportation method.

Example - An FRT is NOT used to feeling the gravity of its entire body since its usually in the water 99% of its life...

twk1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2005
Home
Oh i wasn't planning on transporting anywhere.... asking just incase i would ever like to take it out of the water to get a closer look. So how long is too long for such a turtle to be out of water?

cguarino30

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
USA
I would probably avoid handling in general unless it is a necessiry, try to maintain a habitat that allows you to get a good look without risking injury to the animal.

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
My FRT gets "dried out" for some natural sun occasionally. If its for a short period of time it shouldnt be an issue.

Horiyoshi III

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2006
41.769N -71.129W
www.facebook.com
Well, to keep fungus at bay, most softies will bask to dry off.
That is why you need to provide a dry spot that is easily accessible to them.

Unlike a fish, you can keep it out of water for a few minuets to examine it.

I know you said fully aquatic, but I figured I'd throw that in there.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store