So you want to keep a RTC (Red Tailed Catfish)?

Yanbbrox

Monster hole digger
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2007
Nr Mcr uk
Great thread and, info. Pointing out the obvious to some but excellent education for lesser experienced/informed fish keepers.

As monster fish keeping goes, you can not really get much bigger and committed to a fish if you get a RTC and want to keep it for life.

Ray'Oconner

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2010
Singapore
Actually Something to point on the threads.. We Have Been Keeping one in our pond for a long long time already.. My dad Bought it when i was 6.. i am 24 this year.. So i believe their lifespan is well over 15 years.. he is 3' plus already..

Wet Whiskers

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2008
Amongst the Catfish & Plecos
fastfreddy;4349287; said:
One of my favorites. I'm tempted to put one in my 900g.:screwy:
How scary is it that that sucker would out grow that!?!

There is a reason that while I have all these big cats, I still don't have an RTC. You know this needs to be a sticky with more photos not just of the fish, but the fish being appropriately housed along with photos of how much food (volume and $) it eats a week.

Reactions: dr exum

Experiment397

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2010
Probably the Poly section
i too wish their was a dwarf rtc that had the red tail. i have founda catfish that gets 4 inches max and acts like an rtc and has the body style, but has bumblebee stripes. i want one but dont have the tank for it...yet

dragonsong

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2009
PA
fastfreddy;4349287; said:
One of my favorites. I'm tempted to put one in my 900g.:screwy:
Woa!! Huge tank too!! :eek:

I wouldn't blame you if you bought one tho, it'd have a better life than it would in a 55 or some other tank most of em end up in.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store