So you want to keep a RTC (Red Tailed Catfish)?

Wet Whiskers

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2008
Amongst the Catfish & Plecos
gregg;4419634; said:
i dont think there will eer be a dwarf because you cant even bree them with anything smaller as theyll eat it
Anymore, the breeding usually happens in a petri dish so there's no problem there. :D

dmcskoolkid

Aimara
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2010
MD
man to all of you who have never owned one be very surprised at what they fit in there mouth and be very careful of what you put in your tank...smh

Red_Man

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2010
Indiana
So I just bought an RTC and yes I put him in a 55 gallon tank! Yes I already knew he could grow 18 inches+ this year, that he can eat the average joe out of house and home, that he will one day require an enclosure big enough to loose a school bus in. I just think it pointless to put a 4 inch fish in a tank he can dissapear in for the next year or more. I already own thousands of dollars in blue prints for my custom home with a 7000 gallon+ concrete tank the length of my basement. One day I will own an amazing assortment of Monster fish, but we all have to start somewhere and this just happens to be where I started. Call me an idiot but I know what is required and I have the resources to make it happen.
Oh... and just a side note. All of you dreaming about a Arapima gigas, feel free to send me a message. I know where you can get one in a week. Just might have to take a road trip!

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
RTCs, pacus, and arapaimas are fish I wish wouldnt even be sold. I always wonder what goes through people's minds when they buy one of these fish, knowing damn well they cant take care of them. Fact is, i'm sure most of these people that say 'i'm gonna build a pond in a few years' just do so to avoid flaming. not everybody has the time, money, and patience to care for these true monster fish.

KrackerJaxs

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2010
fayetteville, NC.
I bought one of these guys about a week or so and only became a member just the other day. Boy i wish I would of became a member sooner as I wouldnt of bought him. He's probabley about an inch long if that but the problem im haveing is makeing sure he gets feed. You see I have 2 oscars that are pigs and the blood worms I feed him rarely make it to the bottom. I've tried to feed at night with the lights out when the pigs are asleep but when they see the slightest bit of light thier ready for food.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Kracker

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store