How soon can I offer food to tarantula after molt?

lujor

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 8, 2007
Here&There
My very old tarantula just molted last night. I didn't think it would live thru the night, but it has. It fasted for quite a while before molting, and I am worried about it getting malnourished. Its abdomen shrunk and it hasn't spun oreven moved around much. How long should I wait for it to recover from the molt before I offer crickets?

snakeguy101

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2009
posting bail
how old is it? I have a pair (or what I thought was a pair) of 2 males that are 100% mature and knocking on deaths door right now to. I keep crickets in with them all the time but even still they have tiny abdomens and will not make a web. sort of sad...

to answer your question though, I would say a day to let the fangs re harden. Good luck!

lujor

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 8, 2007
Here&There
Not exactly sure how old as she's a rescue. At least 15years. This is the longest she has ever fasted, and it's also the least active she has ever been. I have heard that keeping crickets in at all times can be bad becausein rare instances the crickets can do harm to the tarantula's eyes.

snakeguy101

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2009
posting bail
lujor;4426308; said:
Not exactly sure how old as she's a rescue. At least 15years. This is the longest she has ever fasted, and it's also the least active she has ever been. I have heard that keeping crickets in at all times can be bad becausein rare instances the crickets can do harm to the tarantula's eyes.
I have not heard that but I will look into it.

lujor

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 8, 2007
Here&There
The stories I heard about MAY have been about younger tarantulas- I can't exactly remember, but they did come from a reputable source.

lujor

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 8, 2007
Here&There
I waited a couple days, and she still won't eat. She is starving herself to death. I don't think she has eaten in quite a few months.

lujor

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 8, 2007
Here&There
I have an anorexic tarantula.

kevinfleming21

Jurassic Aquatics
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2010
Chandler, AZ
that sucks man, I have not clue when it comes to spiders....but maybe like a warm misting to simulate a rain or something would perk her up. Please do not flame me if that is nuts haha

lujor

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 8, 2007
Here&There
I tried telling her she looks good with a few curves, but she's in a mood

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store