Number of Clown Loaches in a 75 Gallon

sampster5000

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2010
San Antonio, TX
Hello everyone. I am pretty sure that I will be completely re-doing my 75 gallon tank. I was wondering what a good number of clown loaches for this size of tank would be. I am not talking about what a good number would be when they are all over a foot long. I am saying what would be a good number for atleast 2-3 years before I could upgrade my tank size. Another question I have is if it is okay to keep other loaches with CL's or if the CL group would mess them up. The only other fish I would keep in the tank would be a pair of convicts and possibly a school of tetras. Thanks!

Sonny503

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Fish room most of the time.
I'm growing 8 of them out in a 75G right now. I run 2 Fluval 404s with my 75G. WC 20% every 2 days, becomes a PITA. Lots of hidding places, 4 Anubias plants, and I am thinking I can probably add 3-4 more. Until my 125G is ready next month. For your 75G, depending on your filtration, I say, 7 (under 3-4 inches ) is a good number,

Aphilophus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2008
Dodge Center,MN
i have 7 clowns 6 yoyos in a 90 gal. with schools of varies barbs. i do 50% wc every 4 days or so. i would think you could do 13 or so start with the young ones feed them well till they start to put on weight then normal feeding will work. also i would not do loaches with convicts.

sampster5000

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2010
San Antonio, TX
Aphilophus;4664466; said:
i have 7 clowns 6 yoyos in a 90 gal. with schools of varies barbs. i do 50% wc every 4 days or so. i would think you could do 13 or so start with the young ones feed them well till they start to put on weight then normal feeding will work. also i would not do loaches with convicts.
Any reason why you would not put them with convicts?

Thanks for the replies. Those are both around the number I was looking for. I was thinking 6 to 10. I bet I will have my 125 gallon by the time they become 3-4 inches. That is if they really do take years to grow that large. I'm not in a hurry or trying to speed up their growth. Just want to enjoy a group of them. I am glad to see that I can keep some other loaches with them.

aclockworkorange

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2010
Rose City
They really do take that long to grow large! I think you're good with the 6-10 number, just keep those nitrates at bay!

Lupin

Viviendo la vida loca!
MFK Member
JokerIndustries;4666088; said:
are they dirty fish? like goldfish
Not much comparison but clowns are ridiculously slow growers. You need to give them space allowance if you want them to grow properly.

Josh the Happy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
SC
I have a WAY overstocked 55 with 11 loaches. emperor 400 & eheim 2217, (moving to new house this month, permanent tank shortly thereafter.)
This was intended like a growout tank like yousr, but i went overboard, constant change-outs, had to cut meats - shrimp, chicken, worms - out the diet for a while, you should be fine, don't go crazy like i did and you wont have to change your water out daily.

sampster5000

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2010
San Antonio, TX
Thanks everyone. I will be doing a lot of reading on clowns and other loaches until I know for sure what I need to do. Its looking like I need some powerheads in there and a better heater!

Sab_Fan

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2008
Delray Beach, FL
sampster5000;4665780; said:
Any reason why you would not put them with convicts?
wouldn't worry about it ... loaches can handle themselves quite nicely ... I had clowns with convicts, never an issue

I currently keep yo-yo loaches with convicts, and again, no worries ...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store