White Spots on Wen of a Red Cap Oranda

kiru

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2010
Canada
Just noticed a couple white spots on the wen of my Red Cap Oranda this morning. It doesn't appear to be Ich as it doesn't have any grain like white spots anywhere else on it's body. And the white spots on the head seems a bit bigger than Ick spots.

He seems to be moving normally and eating along with the rest of the fishes in the tank. None of the other fishes are showing any signs of infection/sickness. Any ideas?

Tank Analysis
Size : 60gal.
pH : 7.5
Nitrite : 0.8 (Seems like I'm going to need to do a 20% water change)
Ammonia : 0.01
Fishes : 8 (Red Cap Oranda, Japanese Koi, 2 Goldfish, 4 Bristlenose Pleco)

purplecandle

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 29, 2010
North Carolina
Everything I have found either points to Ick or a fungus.

In all of the cases where the fish looked Identical to yours (oranda, white spots on wen). Those fish where all housed improperly with nitrates through the roof.

A 60 gallon tank is inappropriate for 8 of those types of fishes. You have the most high polluting fish you could get (plecos, koi, goldfish). A 60 gallon is not large enough to handle their eventually size for the decades they can live, nor can it handle the bioload of these fish, even if they are not full adults. These conditions are most likley causing stress, which is leading to the white spots. Even if you found a cure or are able to cure it, it or something worse will happen again.

A 20% water change is not going to be good enough. If I had that stock in that size of a tank (even if they are juveniles) I would do 50% water changes every couple of days to equal more than 100% a week until I got a bigger tank or a pond.

Lupin will be able to tell you more about the white spots specifically, but I know the "cause" or reason for the white spots. Overstocked and under maintained.

Please think about re-homing some of those fish :)

purplecandle

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 29, 2010
North Carolina
I don't think it is carp pox. Carp pox is waxy dull pink/peach in appearance and it happens at colder temps. It the tank has a heater, then not cold, if the tank is in a heated house still probably not cold enough for carp pox to be "likely", possible but not likely..we are talking 55 degrees.

The tank is showing ammonia and Nitrates, much more likely related to an illness that is stress induced or dependent upon poor water quality.

But, if the OP would like to see carp pox and judge for themselves ~
http://www.bonniesplants.com/sick_injured_fish/carp_pox.htm

kiru

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2010
Canada
Temperature of the tank right now is 72 degrees. I just taken a look at him again and seems like the white spot is diminishing. The white spot near his eyes seems to be fading now and is less apparent. But I will keep checking and hopefully it'll get better whatever it is.

The spots doesn't seem to stick out like a lump or a pox would.

Thanks for the many feedback as well :)

I also did some search online and some people are saying that it is related to their natural growth and is natural thing that happens to the red cap orandas specifically. Can someone testify the validity of that?

purplecandle;4831601; said:
Everything I have found either points to Ick or a fungus.

In all of the cases where the fish looked Identical to yours (oranda, white spots on wen). Those fish where all housed improperly with nitrates through the roof.

A 60 gallon tank is inappropriate for 8 of those types of fishes. You have the most high polluting fish you could get (plecos, koi, goldfish). A 60 gallon is not large enough to handle their eventually size for the decades they can live, nor can it handle the bioload of these fish, even if they are not full adults. These conditions are most likley causing stress, which is leading to the white spots. Even if you found a cure or are able to cure it, it or something worse will happen again.

A 20% water change is not going to be good enough. If I had that stock in that size of a tank (even if they are juveniles) I would do 50% water changes every couple of days to equal more than 100% a week until I got a bigger tank or a pond.

Lupin will be able to tell you more about the white spots specifically, but I know the "cause" or reason for the white spots. Overstocked and under maintained.

Please think about re-homing some of those fish :)
Thanks for pointing that out. I was under the impression that it was sufficient as the employee at my fish store told me that my tank was sufficient to house them. I will take a closer look as to see how they do and consider either getting a bigger tank for them or separating them.

nikond70s

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2009
uranus
i had these before on my top view ranchu's. goes away after awhile. was no harm to my fish. or it can be that the wen is growing and its dead tissue. i believe you can actually rub it off using like a cottn swab. but its no big deal if the fish is acting normal.

Lupin

Viviendo la vida loca!
MFK Member
Nothing serious. They're just wen growths.:) All orandas, ranchus, lionheads and any other variants with wen will experience that. It's just a sign their wen is growing especially if you feed them with high protein foods.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store