How big to dwarf lily plants really get?

Pyramid_Party

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2008
Monterey, CA
Hi,

I have a few of these plants. All are pretty short and compact. The tallest being like no more than 6 inches tall. They are more wide than tall. Maybe has something to do with my lighting. Anyway, I hear these lillies get tall like over 12 inch but these aren't growing tall. Again, this might be due to my lighting and the amount of C02 they get. I got these lily bulbs at walmart, if anyone if familiar with these packages. Could anyone shed some light on this? I was thinking of moving one over to my 10 gallon. Thanks

bigbadfish711

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2010
graham, nc
If you have what my friend got from petsmart in a pack. Then you have Tiger lotus. These will grow to the water surface. And yes good lighting good ferts and some co2 will aid in big healthy plants.
Is this what the plant looks like? If not then please post a pic of it if you can.

Nymphaea_lotus.jpg

bigbadfish711

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2010
graham, nc
Yeah thats not Tiger Lotus but Dwarf lily (Nuphar stellata ). These guys can be slow growers. They do not require high light but grow much more slowly and compact when give lower light. They will grow until the lily pads reach the water surface. They ares till a cool plant to have, and your looks like its doing just great. Here are some links if you wish to know more.

http://aqualandpetsplus.com/Plant,%20Dwarf%20Lily.htm

http://tropicalfishgallery.com/species-gallery/plants/Nuphar_stellata.html

Pyramid_Party

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2008
Monterey, CA
Yeah the biggest one has sent a few shoots to the surface. I left them for a little bit and then cut them. It threw a few more shoots later on and I cut those too. The smaller ones have never sent any shoots out. So what would be approx max size on these guys?

bigbadfish711

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2010
graham, nc
Pyramid_Party;4907156; said:
Yeah the biggest one has sent a few shoots to the surface. I left them for a little bit and then cut them. It threw a few more shoots later on and I cut those too. The smaller ones have never sent any shoots out. So what would be approx max size on these guys?
Unless you do not want to have the lily pad on top of the water then there would be no need to cut it off unless you do not want it blocking out the light. If left at the water surface it will bloom a small flower. Here is the thing. The leafs will get to an average size. Maybe the size of the palm of my hand or a little bigger. The stems will grow to the surface of the water. If you have a small 10 gallon or a 110 tall. The steams will still grow to the waters surface.

Pyramid_Party

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2008
Monterey, CA
Yeah I cut the pads up at the top so they wouldn't block light. So you are saying these will only grow to the surface of a tank?

Example: 10 gallon is 12 inch high, so it will only grow to the top of that? Another example, this same plant in a 29 gallon that is 18 inch high, this plant grows to the top?

bigbadfish711

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2010
graham, nc
Pyramid_Party;4908544; said:
Yeah I cut the pads up at the top so they wouldn't block light. So you are saying these will only grow to the surface of a tank?

Example: 10 gallon is 12 inch high, so it will only grow to the top of that? Another example, this same plant in a 29 gallon that is 18 inch high, this plant grows to the top?
Yeah the plant will grow all the way to the top of the water.

bigbadfish711

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2010
graham, nc
Pyramid_Party;4908561; said:
Cool thanks. I am gonna add one to my 10 gallon.
Your welcome. I do not have any of these right now, but I am going to go gets some tomorrow. Thanks

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store