Paratheraps fenestratus "Lago Catemaco"

flowerpower

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2007
NY
This is a wild pair of white fenestratus from Lake Catemaco, Mexico.

I was given the male by David (Nemesis) and the female by Ira (The Wish List). Not a fish I ever sought out to keep but definitely one I'm glad I have. I've seen so many stunning offspring from these wild Catemacos that I am now determined to raise a spawn for myself. Hopefully they give me one soon.

flowerpower

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2007
NY
A few more....

DCT, who collected and imported these fish, splits them according to which part of the lake they were collected from. The original pair what David gave me were 'gold flake'(?). The female was gorgeous but unfortunately, I lost her. The female that replaced her was collected from a different part of the lake. In the picture above It's easy to see some differences between the 'white east shore' female and the male 'gold flake'. Apparently the two populations of fish are isolated from one another due to volcanic activity within the lake.Interesting to say the least but they're still 'Catemacos' to me.

cavamart

Feeder Fish
Sep 22, 2007
Oregon
Nice white Fenestratus. I'm guessing there are the white strain and pink (piebald) varieties in Lake Catemaco?

flowerpower

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2007
NY
Idk, I've seen so many different looking specimens. The piebald fenes I've seen for years, these appear to be consistently white based with red/ orange blotches- peppered in black at times. They get the same black throats as other fenes, bifas, zonatum do when spawning.
I know some other people on here have (or had;)) some amazing specimens. Please, throw up some photos.

cavamart

Feeder Fish
Sep 22, 2007
Oregon
I missed your caption on the second post. So I guess there are three varieties or collection points in the lake. I'm missing the gold flake trait in the pictures. I'm sure it shows better in person. Is the lighter fene the east shore white and gold flake the specimen with the orange marking on the head? Where do the gold flakes show? Fins, body all over?

flowerpower

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2007
NY
I've looked long and hard for a gold flake on the 'goldflake' and I haven't found one yet. Still looking though. All I can say is that there is a slight difference in color between this female and the female from the original pair. The other one had much more color and, if I'm not mistaken, the same red stripe lining the dorsal as the male.
I just don't get why one name indicates the shore from which the fish was caught white the other refers to a trait that is hardly, if at all, present on the fish. Kinda silly but oh well.

ira

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2009
Bronx NY
Here are some more pics of catemaco fenestratus.

Breeding pair white east shore

Sp Catemaco "White East Shore"

Sp Catemaco "White East Shore" Breeding Pair

Pie Bald Fenestratus

Ed this is the pair that David got so its great to see that the male looking so good.

catemaco3

This wild caught pair is stunning they look so much better in person.

female catemaco

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store