220g ply/epoxy

captainahab

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2011
Iowa, USA
www.bluesagehues.com
Finally finished! I am a professional cabinet/furniture builder, but this took WAY longer than I expected. Primarily because it started out to just be a plywood box to winter my CA cichlids in.....turned in to an awesome display tank along the way.

full view.jpg

The bottom, back, right side and half left side are 2" foam filled (R10). The blue stain you see is water base because epoxy will not adhere to any other stain. The only fiberglass I used is on the vertical-strip built filter in the back left corner. More on filter in a minute. All visible wood (except stained blue plywood) is solid, reclaimed Red Oak.

front view.jpg
Approx. inside dimensions are; 47" L X 34" W X 32" H. Calculates to 221 gallons completely full. My designed water line is 1" below full.

root ball.jpg
Massive Silver Maple root ball was a great find. It took quite a bit of chainsaw work to get it just right. I would prefer to not have the rocks quite so much on it, but until it is better waterlogged, necessary.

end window.jpg
This is a 2" deep water test. I will show final pics later.

The filter is approx 20g in size and had several criteria in the design; I wanted a bottom level intake, wanted a strong output to create current, wanted the first level filter medium to be accessible from the top for simple cleaning and I wanted pump space available for future wet/dry add on. The sketchup should show my concept. What you can't see in any picture is that the bottom of the filter is 3/4" above the tank bottom, which creates a great diffuser intake. The pvc cap you see in the photo is a secondary intake; in the case of fry or some other reason to not want intake at the bottom, I move that cap onto the vertical intake, install a diffuser on the front and I have a surface intake.
filter shot.jpg
sketchup filter.jpg

front view.jpg

sketchup filter.jpg

full view.jpg

end window.jpg

filter shot.jpg

root ball.jpg

captainahab

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2011
Iowa, USA
www.bluesagehues.com
Oh, I forgot to explain the substrate! I didn't want sand or anything the big cichlids could rearrange at will, but also wanted a natural look. This is epoxy saturated sawdust of 3 different kinds (Red Oak, Limoncillo and Pine) mixed rather thick to give dimension. It turned out fairly rough but looks great.

captainahab

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2011
Iowa, USA
www.bluesagehues.com
And one more explanation. In the first pic you can see a black canister on the left side of the hood, that is an air intake for my sealed air pump system. There is an airstone part way down into the filter medium to further aerate. It only draws in outside air, the hood is effectively sealed so there is a very minor positive pressure inside. Primary reason for this is that this tank sets in my work shop! Lots of sawdust going on.

KLee79

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2008
Ohio
I have to comment twice on the natural look of the setup. I also thought about using expoy to make the substrate and to make a river/creek that ran from side to side. Looks very good. FILL IT UP!

captainahab

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2011
Iowa, USA
www.bluesagehues.com
It's finally filled! Had a very small leak in the silicone that tried to kick my ***, but got it handled. Then found out my pump/filter system may be a bit too strong; sucked a 2.5" rainbow cichlid right up the intake! Got that managed.
Then discovered that my salvini and texan that were supposedly growing up out in the garden pool no longer exist! So....it's looking a bit empty. Will post pics when there are enough fish in it to actually see something.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store