Timor and ackie monitor care!!! NEED ANSWERS!

lix.ma14

Hydrolycus Armatus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I am looking to get a small monitor in the pet expo but all my research is all mumbo jumboed! LOLS. Its so confusing. First i did research and I watched ackie and timor monitor care on Youtube. People here said that timors needed a foot of substate but the vidoes don't show that much substate. Also some people say this sized tank is good but some don't!!!!! OK, what is the IDEAL MINIMUM SIZED TANK FOR THEM (DIMENTIONS) andthe PRICING FOR THIS MONITOR HOBBY. I have a 30 gallon and people only said that it wouldn't fit a enough substate. It never said the Timors needed that much subrate in any timor car videos!!Ignore the substate shenanigans and would a a timor idealy live in a 36 times 12 times 12 tank for life?? I know a ackie can't because of the substrate problem!:p
any ways how much would a small monitor sized tank cost without the stand??

I'm not trying to be annoying but I just want a job life for a Monitor IF i keep one.

A. gigas

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2010
I am looking to get a small monitor in the pet expo but all my research is all mumbo jumboed! LOLS. Its so confusing. First i did research and I watched ackie and timor monitor care on Youtube. People here said that timors needed a foot of substate but the vidoes don't show that much substate. Also some people say this sized tank is good but some don't!!!!! OK, what is the IDEAL MINIMUM SIZED TANK FOR THEM (DIMENTIONS) andthe PRICING FOR THIS MONITOR HOBBY. I have a 30 gallon and people only said that it wouldn't fit a enough substate. It never said the Timors needed that much subrate in any timor car videos!!Ignore the substate shenanigans and would a a timor idealy live in a 36 times 12 times 12 tank for life?? I know a ackie can't because of the substrate problem!:p
any ways how much would a small monitor sized tank cost without the stand??

I'm not trying to be annoying but I just want a job life for a Monitor IF i keep one.
I'm going to do my best to understand what you said, bear with me if I read anything wrong...

That 30 gallon tank will NOT support ANY species of monitor lizard for life.

Timors are arboreal, they do not require deep substrate, and no one said they did. Timor Monitors should have a cage about 6 ft by 3 ft by 3 ft according to what I have heard. Lots of stuff for climbing.

Ackie monitors need the deep substrate, and a much more desert-like environment (but still humid) they need a cage about 4 ft by 2 ft by 2 ft as adults.

You really won't find any good monitor enclosures for sale, you will probably have to either build your own or have someone build one for you.

Wiggles92

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
Pennsylvania
I'm going to do my best to understand what you said, bear with me if I read anything wrong...

That 30 gallon tank will NOT support ANY species of monitor lizard for life.

Timors are arboreal, they do not require deep substrate, and no one said they did. Timor Monitors should have a cage about 6 ft by 3 ft by 3 ft according to what I have heard. Lots of stuff for climbing.

Ackie monitors need the deep substrate, and a much more desert-like environment (but still humid) they need a cage about 4 ft by 2 ft by 2 ft as adults.

You really won't find any good monitor enclosures for sale, you will probably have to either build your own or have someone build one for you.
x2.

cichlid_fever

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2010
...Im out here!!
I never said that Timors need deep substrate,ackies do!Im just trying to help you,thats all!Varanus are the most mistreated animals in the trade. Savanah's are the top #1......As others are pointing things out to you, the same things i'm trying to explain.Find out if some of them people on youtube still have there monitors & for how long did they have them.Not all,has had this occur,but it happens, a lot!!Have you any experience with reptiles?Monitors are not beginner reptiles.Im not trying to put you down, but please do some more research...http://repticzone.com/,http://www.varanus.net/.Here some sites that have quite a monitor community.Look i wish you & your choices the best!!
No fish tank is proper for a reptile,period. You'll need to build a costume enclosure for them...Just because they have jails for humans,that doesn't mean that we should trap them in tight quarters.Would you like to live in your room all day? See thats what you'll need to figure out...On one of my other posts i got a 4x3x3 foot enclosure that i built,it's gonna home two timors hatchlings,starting Tuesday,by Febuary next year there enclosure will be 4'wide x7'tall x3 wide.It huge to my fiance's standards but to the animals requirements,it's not,so i must upgrade.There not that pricey to build.The glass doors are the most expensive part.

lix.ma14

Hydrolycus Armatus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I never said that Timors need deep substrate,ackies do!Im just trying to help you,thats all!Varanus are the most mistreated animals in the trade. Savanah's are the top #1......As others are pointing things out to you, the same things i'm trying to explain.Find out if some of them people on youtube still have there monitors & for how long did they have them.Not all,has had this occur,but it happens, a lot!!Have you any experience with reptiles?Monitors are not beginner reptiles.Im not trying to put you down, but please do some more research...http://repticzone.com/,http://www.varanus.net/.Here some sites that have quite a monitor community.Look i wish you & your choices the best!!
No fish tank is proper for a reptile,period. You'll need to build a costume enclosure for them...Just because they have jails for humans,that doesn't mean that we should trap them in tight quarters.Would you like to live in your room all day? See thats what you'll need to figure out...On one of my other posts i got a 4x3x3 foot enclosure that i built,it's gonna home two timors hatchlings,starting Tuesday,by Febuary next year there enclosure will be 4'wide x7'tall x3 wide.It huge to my fiance's standards but to the animals requirements,it's not,so i must upgrade.There not that pricey to build.The glass doors are the most expensive part.
ya thanks. would a 2 times 2 times 3 (or 4) hold a timor for life????? do monitors die easily for reptile noobs?? don't wanna waste 300 bux.

lix.ma14

Hydrolycus Armatus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
can you trust a monitor breeder for hi/her suggestions in tank size??? LOLS

cichlid_fever

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2010
...Im out here!!
What does he/her keep theres in? How long have they ben breeding? I figure for a single timor a 6' tall x 4' length x 3' width. Make sure he has plenty climbing room.Trees,branches,you can even cover the walls with coconut fiber. Humidity is a must & a basking spot from 120f to 150f.Plenty of vegetation.Timor are very shy,unlike ackies that are more interactive with you. Don't over power them,they are very smart for reptiles & never forget.They study there surroundings,it's funny to watch. But your key is food,monitors that are kept correctly are all ways hungry. Lol. If he's nor kept correctly kiss your 300$ good bye!!!

A. gigas

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2010
Depends on which one you're talking to.. Remember most of them are just out to make money, no matter how much they may tell you otherwise. Their objective is to sell you the animal, and if that means exaggerating the simplicity of care, chances are they would do it. Unless you have lots of evidence that they're good people, don't trust them, and even then be careful putting trust in them.

lix.ma14

Hydrolycus Armatus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
roughly how much would a proper monitor tank cost me with no stand??? plus lights, decor etc??? a ackie or a timor setup????

Wiggles92

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
Pennsylvania
roughly how much would a proper monitor tank cost me with no stand??? plus lights, decor etc??? a ackie or a timor setup????
It really depends on the cost of wood in your area; it can vary quite a bit from region to region. If I had to give you a ballpark amount, then I'd go with $400 including the cost of wood, paint, screws/nails, glass (can be very expensive), screening material, and other items.

Honestly, you're not going to be able to buy a pre-made cage or aquarium that will meet the monitors needs while being cheaper than building your own enclosure for it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store