My tank progression *Budget Tank*

Runitis

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2011
Winnipeg,MB, Canada
Hi I'm starting my own progression thread! So far i bought a used 70g for really cheap so i'm nicknaming this my budget tank! I'm buying everything in pieces! The tank is no show tank its not store bought the guy put the rim on himself no bottom rim and really scuffed up and tinted glass on the back and top for braces with a 28" gap in the middle.

Here's my tank just the tank! its a 71g to be exact 48"x18.5"x18.5" didn't take this pic right from the beginning it was full of sand that I cleaned out

View attachment 2012-01-14 18.11.16.jpg

Now I got two filters one marineland penguin 150 and an aquaclear 70/300

View attachment 2012-01-14 18.12.29.jpg
View attachment 2012-01-14 18.12.41.jpg

i just bought wood and screws today to build the stand hopefully tomorrow.

so far costs

70g tank - $70cdn
penguin 150 - free from friend
aq70 - $30 used (regularly $70 here so i thought was a good deal)
wood and screws - $22

Still need:
Heater
substrate
decor
light (will probably shut down my 29g for now and use that light)
canopy (probably get a glass one)

Updates will come when i get more stuff thanks for watching let me know what you think :)

Runitis

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2011
Winnipeg,MB, Canada
so some updates my stand is taking longer to build then i thought my father wants me to wait till it gets nicer out so i don't make a mess in the house. It recently just kicked up to about -40c for the last week and before that it's been a surprisingly warm winter ranging from +1c - (-12c) which is weird since our nickname is winterpeg and is usually -40 from the beginning of october not from the middle of january :S anyways updates i got a white print i guess since its opposite of a blue print :p

2012-01-15 13.16.49.jpg

here's the wood 6 - 2x8 and 2" screws

and i got a heater so its already to go!!

2012-01-19 21.26.40.jpg2012-01-19 21.36.16.jpg

I'm going to leave it a bare bottom tank for now untill i get more $$$ to decor it!! and 2 blue acaras and a female jag will go in for now but of course you know the jag will get to big and kill the blue acaras so this is only temp! and the blue acar is bigger then the jag and beats her up atm anyways

2012-01-15 13.16.49.jpg

2012-01-19 21.26.40.jpg

2012-01-19 21.36.16.jpg

Runitis

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2011
Winnipeg,MB, Canada
Here's the stand and tank all built :D just need water and fishies!! As i said it's going to be barebottom for now ill get hopefully sand i want black sand!

2012-01-23 23.40.02.jpg

Also all pics were taken from my phone i think its pretty good :)

2012-01-23 23.40.02.jpg

Runitis

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2011
Winnipeg,MB, Canada
Well haven't posted at all really, didn't get any feed back but i just had to share the deal i've got on the entire set up! So here i'll just say everything. It was going to be progression but again no feedback but i like to express it out anyways and just share.

So after this point i just filled it up with water and just alternated my light every night. My buddy gave me a jd so it was cycling my tank.
Then i started to accumulate more and more. My mother bought me gravel for the tank and i had many decorations hanging around, pots fake plants stump drift wood as you see about. So decor was free! fish were also free! until i put my jag in! then i was rolling like that a while no light or canopy just switching back and forth. after i sold my stock i wanted to change the fish around but this great deal came on a local forumn. a 4ft t5 single bulb fixture and air pump $25!! what a steal! When i went to pick it up he gave me so much. I got a 4ft light (24" lights exact same just smaller go for $50 brand new) a pump rated for 100g (mint condition i mean didn't even looked touched but he said he used it once but didn't like it) and 8ft brand new tubing 4 bubble curtains! The curtains are worth $23-$26 each here brand new so i got around $200 worth of stuff for $25 i was so happy! but it was my fish money. but my buddy gave me he's oscar that was so beat up he's other fish i had to take him (he wasn't torturing it, he was going to move it but i just happened to have an empty tank) also gave me two chinese algae eaters and i traded him some bubble curtains food and some tubing for a RD that he bought me and 2 cory cats he we bought so i basically paid $25 for all the equipment and 3 fish :) i thought i would share. Heres a vid of my aquarium and my awesome canopy since i still don't have one and thats all i need :p [video=youtube;6k9RQqcUDu0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6k9RQqcUDu0[/video]

evoxgsr

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2012
long beach ca
looks good, im thinkin about building my own stand too but wouldnt you want to put some kind of edge so your tank dont roll over?

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
Nice thread! Actually,IMO the stands are what costs big time in shops rather than aquariums, so building yourself is always a good thing to do :)
Nice deal!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store