juruense refuses to eat help please

cudamaster13

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2008
southern california
my juruense cat usually eats cut up pieces of silversides every other day to two days but this week he bites them in his mouth then attacks it but wont swallow them:angryfire:swear: wat does this mean and wat should i do ????should i starve him???any advice will be great

snowhnter

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2009
West Virginia, USA
If you want, try blood worms, I never really liked them b/c I seem to loose more to the filter before they can eat it all. I feed mine market fillet and earthworms, but if yours likes bloodworms, go for it. I would first try to feed whatever it is that you normally would, just try with lights low and as little stress as possible. In the wild juvenile juruense face upstream and eat whatever hits them in the mouth. Trying putting the food right on its lips, works for mine everytime. Might be a reflex, but IDK.

snowhnter

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2009
West Virginia, USA
Seems like its been a week since its eaten already, if it is in a tank buy itself you can give him some rosey reds or small goldfish and wait for them to get eaten. I would still offer food daily. At 6" they can go a week or two and really suffer no ill affects. Are there tankmates? If so, are they picking on it? One of my TSN went for weeks without eating and i gpt worried to the point where I isolated him so that I could make sure there was not competition for food. Still it would only eat once a week or so. Offered live, cut market fish and nothing, then onr day he just started eating again and noe eats better than ever. A healthy fish will rarely starve itself to death.

cudamaster13

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2008
southern california
Seems like its been a week since its eaten already, if it is in a tank buy itself you can give him some rosey reds or small goldfish and wait for them to get eaten. I would still offer food daily. At 6" they can go a week or two and really suffer no ill affects. Are there tankmates? If so, are they picking on it? One of my TSN went for weeks without eating and i gpt worried to the point where I isolated him so that I could make sure there was not competition for food. Still it would only eat once a week or so. Offered live, cut market fish and nothing, then onr day he just started eating again and noe eats better than ever. A healthy fish will rarely starve itself to death.
he is with a yellowtail cuda, two red tailed payara, three silverdollars, one spotted silverdollar, a blue phantom pleco and a jurupari cichlid but he is the most aggresive attacking any fish that comes near him the weird thing is he inhales the silverside piece and then all of the sudden spits it out and either attacks it and bites it or leaves it alone but he never really eats it he ate every time before is he bored with it if so should i try something else? would h2olife frozen clam on the half shell harm him or wat are some other choices?wat does this behavier mean?

snowhnter

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2009
West Virginia, USA
Not sure about the clams, never used them or did any research. Mine is very territorial as well whenever anything gets close to it, mine chases it away and sometimes grunts, that we can hear across the room. Mine does not actively hunt the food just waits for it to hit its mouth. Usually if a fish bites and spits, it means a dislike of whatever it bit. But to have eaten them in the past and now not, i'm at a loss. The only things that mine will currently eat are the occasional tilapia fillet/whiting fillet and earthworms, its about 9" long and a 18 months old.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store