DESKTOP REEF (~3 gal)

jnwilliamson

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2010
Maryville, TN
I have no experience with saltwater. I have done freshwater for years. I'm wanting to set up a desktop reef tank at my office. Somewhere around the 3 gallon range. It will be left alone on the weekends. I need suggestions on what tank, what corals, invertebrates, and fish, what to do to prepare. Anything is helpful. I know nothing! Is this even a practical idea or is it too much maintenance for an office aquarium?

Greg31

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Maryland
Sound waaaay too difficult.

speedoking11

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2012
Wyoming
Ive done saltwater for just under 5 years now and I though i could handle a 5.5 nano. And well I dropped 800 bucks and got my butt kicked by it. Ended moving it all back to my show tank.

Wiggles92

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
Pennsylvania
It's not too hard to do a nano aquarium if you are careful and take it slowly as they're much more sensitive than larger aquariums. I've been running a four gallon saltwater aquarium for a few months now with no major issues. If you top it off often, do water changes at least every other day, don't overfeed, and keep the stocking levels low, then you shouldn't have any issues.

Wiggles92

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
Pennsylvania
I usually do 10% unless the water parameters indicate that I need to do a large water change. You might be able to do less frequent water changes than that, though, depending on your stocking and feeding habits. Testing is your friend, and it will let you know what you can and can't do when it comes to water changes and such.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store