Starting out, any suggestions?

MissMaddylyn

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2012
Green Bay, Wisconsin
I recently acquired a 135gal tank, now I am trying to figure out where to go next. I've never had a such a big tank before, only 20s, so I'm looking for some advice. I really like native tanks, but a friend wants me to take his Florida Gar.

Which would be a better starter fish? Any recommendations for filters and the like? I've had sunfish and a wide variety of tropical fish in the past, but I think bigger fish and tank would logically mean bigger set ups.

Also, if I dont take his gar, he is trying to sell it if anyone here in is in WI :)

everlastace

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2011
Utah
Is the tank drilled? For a tank that size, a sump would probably be a good idea. I wouldn't go with the gar for your first fish. Go with something simpler. Especially while you're going through the first few months and figuring out what you really like. If you want relatively easy fish that get some size, go with oscars or severums or something like them. The best advise anyone can give someone getting into it like you are is don't rush. Take your time and let things settle in before changing a bunch of stuff up.

Steve87125

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2012
Mahopac
I also just got started with my 220 as an upgrade from my 75. I did start with oscars but quickly became in trested in the more oddball type. Such as arapaima, goliath tigerfish, stone fish, lung fish, just stay away from the red tail catfish (big mistake). Good luck and a good filter is a must possibly 1 - 2 FX5s (if no sump) depending on the amount type and size of fish. Ps oscars do requirs a good filter they are "dirty" fish.

i2die4x

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2011
Singapore
I think a variety of a few bichirs (some endis or ornates), some arowanas (africans are pretty cool) and maybe gars would make a badass ancient fish comm ..

duke33

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 18, 2007
WV
First, you get what you pay for. Buy quality stuff. I'd go with a big canister, say a fx5. Good lighting, there's endless possibilities. Stay Away from Monsterfish (you know what I mean) with that tank. They will outgrow it. Remember, fish eat fish. If it will fit in their mouth it's a goner. As for starters.....whew, go with your past experience. Good Luck.

TheAquascaper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2012
Diamond Bar, Ca
Hey MissMaddylyn Congrats on the brand new tank. I'll give you a list of some of the fish that are kept in larger aquariums that I personally enjoy. Some setups might include:
1. Discus-These fish are not that hard keep despite what you might read online. Each one can get around 9-10 inches if kept in good conditions and they are absolutely gorgeous.
2. Arowana- My personal favorite fish, they're extremely hardy but at the same time graceful. They tend to swim at the top and they look like the Chinese Dragons. In the U.S. asian arowana are still illegal but I'm pretty sure you can still get your hands on a black, silver, or jardini arowana. However keep in mind that you might have to upgrade again because they get very large.
3. Bichir- These are big fish that look like gars mixed with rattle snakes. They're bottom dwellers and not that active.
4. African Cichlids- Endless possibilities of stock lists for these fish. Some get a lot bigger than others. They range from around 4 inches to 20 for the big ones. You can overstock these in your tank and it would be a definite eye catcher for anyone that visits your home.
That's about it for now i guess, a 135 gallon really isn't that big. If I were you, I'd just go straight for a 200 gallon. It's a good size that really enables you to raise a lot of different types of fish. I would put a florida gar in a minimum of 200 gallons since it gets so big.
now next topic. FILTERS- I'm going to give u the filters that I like on big tanks okay?
1. Sump/Refugium- THIS IS THE BEST TYPE OF FILTRATION PERIOD.:) these types of filters keep the water sparkling clean crystal clear. However, they're extremely pricey sometimes, but you can get great deals from local aqua stores probably.
2. Canister Filters- Extremely strong filters that take all the nitrates out of the water and store them until you take it out. These filters are extremely affective and you will only have to do water changes like once a month. However, I still don't like maintaining them.
Well enjoy ur brand new tank

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store