Frontosa food

cichlidcatfishboy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2013
malaysia
Heyy guys first post on this forum . Recently i got a frontosa and i was wondering what is the best food i can feed it to maximize its growth and color besides using pellet food ???(jus want to give my frontosa a variety of food) THX

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Vanimal

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2012
Florida
Well to maximize it's growth and color you should be feeding a pellet food. NLS is the best but I also like hikari.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

coyotethug

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2005
Michigan
Variety is the key after choosing a good pellet as a base. I would go nls. You can also add appropriate sized pieces of shrimp, silversides, and earthworms (these are especially full of good vitamins and minerals if you raise some your self)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

coyotethug

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2005
Michigan
Pellets generally dont have too high of protein for mbuna, tropheus can be more touchy so get veggie pellets for them. All cichlids have specific feeding requirements so you need to read up on each type.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Metriacliman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2012
New York
NLS is good for mbuna, but as stated above, Tropheus have a very special diet.

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
I've kept fronts for probably a dozen years and also have experience breeding them. Quality pellet is normally sufficient. I've used both NLS and Omega One (Color pellets and/or Shrimp pellets) with good results from both products. Mentioning fish food products often leads to strong opinions or arguments, but I've tested them thoroughly (as well as other products) and I like them both, get similar results from both. Both are good for color in fronts ime. Some people like to feed them treats of market shrimp or frozen products like frozen mysis shrimp. I prefer freeze dried, haven't fed frozen in years. IME freeze dried mysis can be a good growth food. Naturally, the other parts of the equation for growth in fronts are water quality, not stressing them out with the wrong tank mates, etc., and sufficient tank space.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Tropheus can be fed NLS as a staple pellet just like any other African cichlid. Many tropheus keepers feed NLS exclusively, I have have as well in the past with no problem.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store