February 2014 POTM Contest! Vote now!

Which photo should represent the February POTM?

Votes: 5 6.2%

Votes: 11 13.6%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 3 3.7%

Votes: 14 17.3%

Votes: 2 2.5%

Votes: 4 4.9%

Votes: 15 18.5%

Votes: 6 7.4%

Votes: 7 8.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

reptileguy112

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2014
California
why do people like 10 so much??All it is to me is a piranha that swished some sand...no offence, I am not trying to be disrespectful AT ALL!

fishyman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2011
Singapore
why do people like 10 so much??All it is to me is a piranha that swished some sand...no offence, I am not trying to be disrespectful AT ALL!
Yes, the voters' choices are really "mysterious" to me, too. For example, I cannot see why No.5 gets into top 3. It looks like the person knows using a black background will have a better chance of winning and thus "forcefully" changed the background to completely the blackest black. It looks like a tool like "magnetic lasso" being used in Photoshop to pick up the part around the fishes (along the the whole or part perimeter) of the fishes and then fill with black. That's why the "edges of the fish look like that".

I guess using black background will somehow have a better chance in this competition --- voters somehow seem to like it.

fishyman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2011
Singapore
Yes, the voters' choices are really "mysterious" to me, too. For example, I cannot see why No.5 gets into top 3. It looks like the person knows using a black background will have a better chance of winning and thus "forcefully" changed the background to completely the blackest black. It looks like a tool like "magnetic lasso" being used in Photoshop to pick up the part around the fishes (along the the whole or part perimeter) of the fishes and then fill with black. That's why the "edges of the fish look like that".

I guess using black background will somehow have a better chance in this competition --- voters somehow seem to like it.
Oops! Not "magnetic lasso" should be "Magic Wand Tool" in Photoshop.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg

If you're handy with a camera, that effect is infinitely easier to create with a camera than it is to create in Photoshop.

As for the mysterious votes, people on this site tend to vote more for the more the most "monster" picture, not the most technically correct. If you have a dynamic shot that was done with a cell phone up against a technically flawless picture that is boring, there's a good chance the flawless shot will lose.

If you have a dynamic shot that is also flawless, it is almost guaranteed a win. Look at the 2013 Photo of the Year for example.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

GMFISHNUT

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2008
Long Island, NY

Actually fishyman, I didn't change the backround or use the magnetic lasso or Magic wand tool! The tank has a black backround and the only thing I did was crop the picture. It only took me around 10 minutes to process the photo in camera raw as it was shot in raw format with 3 overhead flashes. What you see is the actual fish in their tank no tricks! It wasn't an easy shot to catch as the pair was courting and preparing to spawn, and the male was very rough on the female. If you'd like I will send you the raw image!!

danny2875

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2008
Astoria, NY
I vote for #5 breeding trimacs!!!!

Sent from my HTC One using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store