My Betta died.

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
I've trained my Betta to come to the top of the tank for food whenever I knock on it. He would always come to the top and eat as much as he could. I went downstairs this morning, and knocked on his tank. He didn't come up. After knocking a couple more times, with no response, I moved the decoration that he normally hides in. He was dead, covered in snails. I don't know what was wrong with him. I fed him 3-4 times a day, and I did %90 water changes on his tank twice a week. I would post a picture of him, but I had none of him before he died, and he's so disfigured after what the snails did I'm sure someone would lose their lunch if they saw him. I'm going to miss him. He was beautiful and had so much personality (for a Betta).

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
You feed him that many times a day? I feed mine once every other day. Its actually my nephews but not really I do all the work and he bought the fish lol
Just because I fed him that many times doesn't mean I fed him a lot. I only gave him a small amount each feeding. Even with that I had a good water change schedule to keep up with it.

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
Just because I fed him that many times doesn't mean I fed him a lot. I only gave him a small amount each feeding. Even with that I had a good water change schedule to keep up with it.
From what I gathered from others who are dedicated betta fans they all told me the reason why these fish don't live long is because people feed them too much. My nephew has two in his home which are 2-3 years old easily and his dad feeds same way I do once every other day. Changes water every week sometimes twice a week.

Just a tip I read and heard from others to keep betta fish live long. I keep mine in a 2.5 gallon tank which isn't ideal but I had him in a 10 gallon and he didn't like it. He wouldn't eat and wouldn't swim around like he used to. I tried that for a month and put him back to his other tank and he was awesome again lol

I'm sorry for your loss none the less. Any pics? Also the one I have at my home does the same way. I tap on the tank and he comes out asap.

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia

Texas321

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2016
You can see him there in the corner and looks like a big healthy betta. Did he and the angel fish get along?

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
You can see him there in the corner and looks like a big healthy betta. Did he and the angel fish get along?
That was temporary. I was trying to see how he did with other fish. Occasionally he would chase some fish around, but most of the time he just stayed on the gravel or hid in the decor.

FMA4ME

Probation Member
Probation Member
Aug 6, 2013
CA
From what I gathered from others who are dedicated betta fans they all told me the reason why these fish don't live long is because people feed them too much. My nephew has two in his home which are 2-3 years old easily and his dad feeds same way I do once every other day. Changes water every week sometimes twice a week.

Just a tip I read and heard from others to keep betta fish live long. I keep mine in a 2.5 gallon tank which isn't ideal but I had him in a 10 gallon and he didn't like it. He wouldn't eat and wouldn't swim around like he used to. I tried that for a month and put him back to his other tank and he was awesome again lol

I'm sorry for your loss none the less. Any pics? Also the one I have at my home does the same way. I tap on the tank and he comes out asap.
This is what I found with my Betta. Much happier/active in a smaller tank. Also minimal feedings, 2/3 Betta pellets a day, even skipping weekends as it was on my desk at work.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store