Well, that puts things in perspective.

Owens

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2012
Southern Maryland
So, I can still fit 3 RTCs in my 180g, right?

Omrit

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2015
I think I am content with seeing the alligator gars in the river. The ones in the river near my house are huge and for the most part ignore people. If you are just chilling out in the water sometime you can see them in the water with you, definitely a laid back fish. It is nice that they destroy fishing tackle and are so bony they are not worth eating. I think if that was not the case then they would be critically endangered by now like so many large fish are.

Also for those that are curios about that little eel looking fish on the graph, don't google it. Just a bunch of gross pictures. It seems this fish is the one that crawled in a man's penis ,and the surgery is all over google xD

Bluethousandand2

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2016
I've wanted a giant gourami for so long, my brother and I joke about how the Giant gourami at my LFS is my boyfriend, and I'm a guy, lol.

pcfriedrich

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2008
North Central Florida
I was just discussing this yesterday at work. Why are Pacus, Ret Tailed Catfish (and most other catfish) available for sale at Pet(insert generic big pet store suffix here) for $3.99?

For people saying "I have a (insert giant fish name here), what's my plan?"...

If you don't have a plan to build a large pond, start contacting commercial and public aquariums, zoos, other MFKers and the like ASAP. Don't wait until they are too big to safely transport.

Reactions: JapaneseSpagetti

Lady Sphinx

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
South Africa, Johannesburg
Oh wow some of those ate real monsters. I showed my husband and now he gets why I check what size a fish I'm interested in will get with a measuring tape next to me. I try to not go for fish that go over 15cm for my 50g. But one day I want a black ghost knife fish and common pleco but not yet.

MariaS

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2015
South Africa
Oh wow some of those ate real monsters. I showed my husband and now he gets why I check what size a fish I'm interested in will get with a measuring tape next to me. I try to not go for fish that go over 15cm for my 50g. But one day I want a black ghost knife fish and common pleco but not yet.

Common plecos are now on the new blacklist

DeathStalker

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2015
United States
Yes, RTCs should, imho, NOT be sold to unaware consumers. I almost bought a Shovelnose, until I found out just how large they get! I do have a Tire Track Eel, and actually had 2 at one point (male & larger female), so I know what I'm dealing with with them. Now I only have my (new) Tire Track, a Fire Eel, and my large (~18+") pleco in my 90gal tall. We wanted to upgrade to a 125gal when we got the new tank (old 90gal was ~18yrs old!), but didn't have the room for it :(

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store