Working on a book about monster keeping with a science fiction twist

Do you think you would keep a Aqua as a pet if you were a monster fish keeper?

• Total voters

Ocean Railroader

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2010
Richmond VA
Over the last week I started work on a storyline called the Seahorse that kicked out my Kids. It would be about a race of alien seahorses that I created called the Aqua. The Aqua are a race of very intelligent seahorse creatures that grow to the size of humans and can think like humans.

In the book the humans start keeping these creatures as pets without knowing how big the Aqua get nor do they know how intelligent they are.

The storyline would center around a female Aqua named Clarice who grows up from a Aqua fry to a adult with a human family named the Smiths. During that time as Clarice grows up with her human care takers she starts to learn about the world she was born into as a pet fish.

While the Smiths start out as run of the mill fish keepers with each passing year they must deal with ever growing fish keeping challenges in the form of big fish tank projects to keep Clarice apart of their family. And they also must ask at what point is their gilled family member Clarice a simple pet used for decorating a room or when she is equal to them as a family member.

This storyline will also address some of the troubles someone might feel when they start likening their pet fish more then their own family members preferably their own children. And last put not least this storyline will address major issues in the Monster fish world with a class of fish called tank busters. A tank buster is a pet fish that grows far to big for the most common home aquarium that is under a 1000 gallons.

This story line will show some of the extreme fish tank mega building projects devoted fish owners will go though to keep their gilled friends by their side at home. And last but not least this storyline address some of the ethics facing the classic children's storylines of someone taking in a baby animal and growing it into a adult but it out grows their care abilities. If they should release it back into the wild or not and why releasing a none native fish into the wild will not have a happy ending even for something as cute as a Aqua.

The Book will not be your run of the book that all fish need to be kept in the wild and in fact will be far from the truth. It will have a life lesson it's OK to keep fish but you have to be ready to provide for your pet fish needs.

Honey I don't think that tank is big enough for more of them.png

Born to bust tanks.png

A Brim and a Aqua Paradise.png

FishBeast

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2016
Northwest Washington
www.youtube.com
The concept is very cool and I like your illustrations. I am not trolling here but to be honest, I recommend working on your spelling, style and punctuation if you are serious about writing a book. You say "a Aqua" but it should be "an Aqua". You say they grow far "to" big, when it should be "too" big. These are basic style elements. Grammar and spelling are important, especially when writing for younger demographics who may very well pattern their English writing after yours.

The plot line is interesting, though you'd have to change the alien race's name from "Aqua" to something more "science-fictiony" like Xenotars or Ch'Ugrathi. I like that it tackles the tank-buster issue as well as touches on some of the ethics of our hobby.

Good luck to you, and please take this as constructive criticism!

Reactions: Oompa Loompa

Ocean Railroader

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2010
Richmond VA
I'm working to post the book on a online website. As if now I'm making concept art for it and working out a basic storyline.

I'm planning to post artworks though here and start threads asking questions about big fish tanks though.

The book is not going to be for small children unless I did a spin off of it's main universe for small kids. In that the book does show some violent things that happen to Aquas.

One of the most violent scenes in the universe is when the humans have to kill all of the Aquas the fish keepers let lose in the rivers and lakes by poisoning them and shooting them with spear guns.

At the same time this causes a set up were Aquas can only live in fish tanks and pools no rivers or lakes. This means letting a Aqua into the wild will get you a fine and the Aqua killed.

The Aquas also do murder one another when they get jealous of a tank mate.

As for the name Aquas they get their name from the Spanish Word for Water. But at the same time I'm debating if Aquas should be a marketing name the companies that started selling them call them.

We have to get the animal under control.png

No different the Glolith Monster.png

B.J's Aqua care company truck.png

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
Cool stuff. I am thinking of writing a similar book without the intelligent fish part. great idea and make it pull through!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store