Aquarium Neglect

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
So I went home for Christmas break 2.5 weeks off. I left my tank at my apartment. Before I left I dropped the timer to 7 hours a day with the co2 I did a big water change topped it off and lowered the filter so it wouldn't splash out after evaporation. I came back to the tank today, power must have went out at some point the tank light and co2 was shut off. The evaporation drained around 1/3 the tank and the whole tank was covered in green algae. The water temperature dropped down to 47 degrees, maybe even colder at some point. The fish (platy and fry) are however still alive. Shows how resilient these fish are as well as the plants which stayed alive. Here's the tank right now. I topped it off then going to let it get back to room temperature before water changes and clean up

IMG_0916.JPG

IMG_0918.JPG

IMG_0920.JPG

Binge

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2014
Ohio
Most live bearers can survive crappy conditions. Guppys platys and mollies are typically like tanks. Least the ones from pet shops are.... buy one from a breeder that treats em right and its a whole different story.

GamerChick5567

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2016
Tustin, CA
Well, the plants still look good and that algae that you can't clean probably won't be there for long if the platies and fry have been munching it!

Had the same thing happen to me though with my dad neglecting my molly/guppy tank when I was moving out of the house. Only casualties were 2 mollies after 3 months of not really being home, which were old anyway. He changed the water weekly but overfed them a bit and he forgot to stuff the heater back in, OOPS... plus the guppies overran both tanks, haha thank god for millions of plants. The rest were healthy though and became good food for my cichlids haha.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

FreshyFresh

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2015
Buffalo NY
I guess that speaks wonders for a slow gradual temperature change. I knew platys could take cool water, but had no idea they'd live @ ~48F.

Reactions: GamerChick5567

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
I guess that speaks wonders for a slow gradual temperature change. I knew platys could take cool water, but had no idea they'd live @ ~48F.
When I got back the house was warmish so it may have even been colder depending on when the power went out here

Reactions: GamerChick5567
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store