Betta Fish Care

32Bit_Fish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2016
Hi All,

I have two 2.5 g tank and there is a betta fish in each tank. I do 80% w/c once a week. New water is prepared by tap water with prime powder added.

Both betta have rot fins/tails. One of them seems to have bigger eyes with tail almost gone and white patches. I think there was a week or two I got lazy and did not do water change. Both betta are eating pellets and I believe those pellets are not very nutritious. I have ordered the Alison's betta pellets from Amazon and it should be good.

I am thinking about PP bath for both betta. What do you guys think? Is a 80% weekly w/c good enough for them?

It's ironic that I have no issue keep other fish in a big tank. But these mini tanks seems to hard to play with.

In terms of food, what other food can I feed them besides pellets? I see betta fish eat mosquito lavas in the wild. But that food is not available to me. I can only get frozen blood worms and brine shrimp. Are they any good?

Last edited:
Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Get a couple 20 gallons,fill each halfway with water and add a filter.

As far as foods:bloodworms,small ants,brine shrimp,mysis shrimp ,mosquito larvae (just put a couple buckets of water in your yard and collect mosquito larvae)

32Bit_Fish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2016
I measured the betta tank and it is 12"x6"x6" and it only holds 1.8 gallon of water. I've always thought I bought a 2.5g tank. I would have to do more frequent water changes per week when a bigger tank is not an option.

Yes, it is SeaChem Safe. Thanks

When can the fish completely recover from a serious tail/fin rot? I am going to step up the water change. If that doesn't heal the fin rot, then I will have to treat it with PP

Last edited:
Reactions: GamerChick5567

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
What are your water parameters - ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate?

How often and how much do you feed?

I have kept a 2.5 gallon tank up with 50% water changes 1x/week and it's been OK. But I only feed once per day and I also have live plants. Can you add some live plants, even if just floating plants? They can help with water quality.

Smaller tanks are harder!

Also - is there a chance that your filter intake or any decorations could be ripping the tails instead of true fin rot? I do think 80% weekly should be OK unless you're really overfeeding or if you have snails in there or something to add to water deterioration? (But again my experience could be skewed because I have the help of live plants)

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Yes, it is SeaChem Safe.
Are you diluting the Safe correctly, or are you just adding the powder right to the tank?

Perhaps it could be a case of a toxic over dose

32Bit_Fish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2016
Thanks for all the replies guys. Let me clarify my set up and feeding and water change routines on my betta fish tanks.

First of all, I have been in this hobby over 20 years, but new to betta. I had both salt water and fresh water aquarium in the past. So I'm not completely new to this hobby. However, I have never had success keeping betta fish.

Currently I have a 75G tank with Oscar. and two 1.8g tank with betta in it.
I have been using Safe powder on all my tanks for the past three years including for water changes on Discus tank in the past and no issues.

I add very tiny little bit of safe powder into a 5 gallon bucket filled with water and mix it up and add the water into the tank.

There is no filtration nor a heater on my 1.8g tank because I do 80% wc twice a week. The water temperature always between 72F to 80F. I only feed 2-3 pellets to them twice a day. I used to feed them Hikari Bio Betta pellet. Now I feed them Tetra Betta pellets. And I just bought Atison Betta pellet yesterday and will be feeding them that as well. I tried to feed them frozen brine shrimp and BW in the past. But the food seems a little too big for them take. So I switched them onto pellets only.

There are java moss and moss ball in the tank. The lights used to be on 8 hours a day. One of those T8 lights that comes with the 10g tank set and it is old. But the plants were growing fast and furious.

Now I moved to a new home and haven't had a chance to set up a timer for the lighting on the betta tanks. So now the photo time is only 2 hours a day. I've also ditched most of the java moss as they were taking over the tank, the fish had no space to swim.

The fin rot started happening when I was behind water changes. I recall there were time when no water changes for two weeks. So the fin rot issue deteriorated.

I did a 80% water change on Sunday and tested water on Tuesday. There is no Ammonia detected. The PH is at 7.2 from the tap. I don't test water for other parameters since a 1.8g tank will never cycled. I just have to keep up with the water change.

I hope I have provided all the info you guys need.

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
OK, well since you asked a question I am just offering my opinion, not trying to insult your fish keeping skills. Sorry if it came across that way.

I run a filter on my 2.5 and 5 gallon betta tanks. I also run small heaters, but our house does not stay 77-80 where the Bettas like it (below 76, esp. below 74 is a bit cool for them). But it sounds like those are the only things I really do differently. If you are getting fin rot and that happened when you got behind on water changes, you might consider a filter and you can get a small micro heater for cheap.

My betta will eat frozen bloodworms but they're not all that nutritious so I typically stick to pellets and flake with a bloodworm or two here or there for a treat. I agree that brine shrimp are also a bit big. You could try daphnia but the fozen stuff could add to muddled water without a filter.

Good luck!

Reactions: GamerChick5567
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store