Fish flashing beacause meds???

Fishguy679

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 30, 2016
OK I had and still might had a parisite problem in my 180 gallon. I was seeing a lot of flashing and white poop so I used API general cure and prazipro. I'm on my third dose now and see no more white poop but still occasionall flashing still? Does this mean I still have flukes(I'm pretty sure I had them and possible still have them). Or could the flashing be from the message irritating their skin and the flukes be gone?

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
switch up and use metro ...prazi most likely won't cure the issue if its hex. Also, dose the tank with Epsom salts and also soak their food in a solution of Epsom salts and metro. You'll have much better results. There is metro in general cure I believe but probably not enough to be effective. Prazi will kill gill flukes if I remember correctly so if you are dosing with prazi and they are still flashing it isn't flukes.

Reactions: tlindsey

Fishguy679

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 30, 2016
I also used some metro plus and soaked their food in it and all my fish ate it, and is it possible the flukes somehow survived the prazipro and metro and are still alive or is that not Likley? And I'll make sure to get some Epsom salt.

Reactions: tlindsey

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Flashing does not neseccarily mean gill flukes.
One of the first places Ick (and many other parasites begin) is inside the gill cover, and may be temporarily unseen, Flashing can be caused by an ammonia spike as a result of medication reducing your biological bacterial population.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
my next question is how long did you treat for with the food soak?

Fishguy679

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 30, 2016
At first I thought it may have been ick, but I didn't see any white spots after about a week or 2 and they were still flashing and sometimes my fish would "spaz" and I was seeing white poop and a decrease in appetite in some fish. I knew I had a possible case of flukes and definitely internal parisites. So I went to PetSmart and got some API general cure(which is about half the peace online) and ordered more API general cure hoping it would arrive by the time the first treatment was done, it ended up not arriving until a few days later but I did some more research and found out and API general cure is just prazi and metro so I picked prazi and metro up and put them both in the tank and soaked pellets in metro for a few days. Now I'm using the API general cure that game in the mail and am hoping this will be enough to iradicate the possible flukes (I'm almost positive the worms are gone, no more white poop) my theory is that the flukes are gone but they are flashing beacause the meds in the tank are irritating them(I'm almost positive they had flukes my prams were good and they showed no signs of ick and my fish flash a LOT less now. I knew there was a problem when one of my fish was repeatedly flashing on this one rock, I was suspicious before that but that really did it. And I'll check for ammonia, I'm hoping that's why they were flashing and the flukes are gone. Also do you think I can stop treatment after this one is done or do you think 3 is not enough?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store