The magical cichlid pellet

tvbbnumber41

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2008
Over the rainbow
Hey guys I just wanted to share a recent experience of mine. My ebjds are the most picky eaters and have pretty much only eaten blood worms consistently. I've tried pretty much every trick in the book and every brand name pellets you can think of. However, FINALLY I've got them on cichlid bio gold. Thought I might share this with people who also have cichlids that are picky eaters.

Last edited:

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Is that the pellets in the red pack as my dats and red hooks even like them.

kewpiefishypewpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016
I've always had trouble getting EBJD's to eat, this is good information. Thanks

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Every trick? Did you try presoaking pellets (any brand) in thawed juice from frozen blood worms? I've never had a fish hold out for more than 10 days when using that method, including fish imported from Thailand that were raised on 100% blood worms.

Once they begin eagerly accepting the 'new' food I simply slowly wean them off the blood worm juice a little at a time for another 10 days. The entire process can take up to 30 days, but so far has never failed.

Binge

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2014
Ohio
oddly my elliots will not eat hikari pellets but will destroy the cheap aqueon ones. My old dempsey liked hikari tho.

Reactions: GamerChick5567

Gates72ss

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2016
w.mass
just goes to show fish are like people , some like McDonalds and a huge soda , some prefer a steak with a glass of wine.... haha

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Every trick? Did you try presoaking pellets (any brand) in thawed juice from frozen blood worms? I've never had a fish hold out for more than 10 days when using that method, including fish imported from Thailand that were raised on 100% blood worms.

Once they begin eagerly accepting the 'new' food I simply slowly wean them off the blood worm juice a little at a time for another 10 days. The entire process can take up to 30 days, but so far has never failed.
Going to have to try this trick myself... maybe can get my eels more eager to feed...

Can i also ask, do you just soak 1 cube of bloodworms in some water, then soak some pellets in that juice??? Or is there more to it???

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
That's pretty much it, one cube of frozen BW, then add pellets - allow to sit long enough that pellets absorb the fluids. Usually a few BW's will enter the water as well, which also helps trigger a feed response. Only feed once per day, just a few pellets, in the morning after the lights have been on for a while and the fish has settled down. This is when most fish are at their hungriest. If no go, then wait until the next morning and try again. Most fish cave in within 10 days, some a lot sooner.

Reactions: Fat Homer
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store