Need help with removing silicone.

batang_mcdo

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2006
Manila
Need tips On how to remove old silicne from glass. I added a glass oanel to my sump for a new chamber but it turns out my measurement is wrong, so now I removed ved the glass panel i siliconed. I've been using a blade but uts hard to totally remove the sealant any tips?

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
More elbow grease! No easy way to remove silicone. By a box of those razor blades and buy one of those little scrapers at the paint store that the razors fit in and just go to town!

Reactions: isde02 and tlindsey

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
I have heard that acetone works to remove silicone, but I've not used it myself. You might want to try something like goof-off, but you will have to be positive that you rinse everything out very well afterwards. Oh, and you will also want to make sure you don't get any of those items on the silicone that you want to keep on the tank.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Please do not use any type of chemical remover! The only way is with a razor. Just scrape it off.

batang_mcdo

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2006
Manila
thanks guys! :) I'm unable to find the thing which holds the blade here :(
af scraping there is still some residue on the glass.
and in my sump its still under the tank so its hard to get at :(
guess will have to do it the hard way :D

Icthisapian

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2012
Wareham, MA
Depending on the silicone variety, rubbing alcohol, if let sit for 30-45 minutes will remove it. This came directly from GE for their 1200 series products. I've also used a green Brillo pad type attachment on an angle grinder (really polishes the glass) I've had to move and rebuild my large tank twice now...60% of the time it works every time

Niners4952

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2016
the blade holder will start slipping anyway just use a razor blade, you will need several as they will dull. It takes times just be patient and keep going over it and switching to new blades

koizilla714

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2016
Planet Earth
Use feeler gauge. You can get them at autozone. It has different thickness that would allow you to insert from the gaps of glass.

s309613.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store