Thoughts on a Dart Frog Paludarium

Narwhal

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2017
I am pretty interested in dart frogs, and making a terrarium. However, depending on the size of tank I get, I am maybe more interested in a paludarium. From what I have read they don't swim well, and I know they are unnecessary, but I would like to have the frogs move tadpoles from little bromeliads and put them in water. The species I like the most is Phyllobates terribilis. My thought would be about a 3 inch deep pool, perhaps 4 with a gentile slope out. In the pool I would want to have some nano fish and shrimp. P.terribilis is a larger dart frog, so would it be a threat to Neocaridina or Caridina species? How would small fish like galaxy rasboras, badis, or pygmy sunfish do with the tadpoles? From what I have heard and seen P.terribilis is mostly terrestrial how would a more arboreal species of frog do, like smaller tree frogs or some dart frogs? Again only in a larger, taller tank.

reptilerancher

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
Dart frogs tend do better in single species tanks. I wouldn't recommend any fish with tadpoles. even smell fish can do damage to young tadpoles and small froglets. dart frogs themselves will be fine with some small fish but i'm not sure about the species you were thinking of.

The first link is to info page of Saurian Enterprises. It has a lot of good info and I would recommend reading through it. it also has a section on keeping different species with dart frogs. The second link is a video on mixing dart frog species by josh's frogs

http://saurian.net/htm05/froginfo_dartfrog_faqs.html#SuggestSomeCombinations

https://www.joshsfrogs.com/catalog/blog/2014/02/can-mix-poison-dart-frogs/

Reactions: vildotcom

Narwhal

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2017
Just a thought, probably best is I start Dart frogs to learn with 1 species, and not try a large vivarium. My other question, do dart frogs require soft or neutral water to breed, or even in their mist, or would hard water with a pretty high ph be fine

Narwhal

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2017
Ok, I am right in the middle so that sounds really good. If I was to do a water feature (although I would be better off with out one for starting with dart frogs I have heard) I may try Neocaridina

vildotcom

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2006
San Diego, CA
I think you should keep it simple for your first species. I've kept a range professionally but have not kept them at home for fear of overheating in the socal summers. This upcoming summer I'll crank that AC on so I've been working on a small zoo med enclosure. Will keep it very simple.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
U can mix your darts with frogs of similar size(avoid dwarf clawed frogs tho). If u want to add fish then u should go with very peaceful species such as celestial danios,cardinal tetras or black neons.

Narwhal

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2017
So if I do get into dart frogs I plan to do it in a 20 gallon tall with a plastic rock structure I happen to have, and add some live plants, like a bromeliads, orchids, maybe one of those little ficus with the exposed roots, it has an area I might turn into a shallow pool, but I might not.
If all goes well I may try and do a mixed show vivarium. I would probably get a really tall one and do a wall of plants, a water seep/trickle/fall thing and perhaps have that drain into some moss or dirt. then have the Goldens, which are very terrestrial, with a more arboreal species such as a thumbnail frog, maybe Oophaga, maybe blue dart frogs, or a small tree frog species. Thoughts

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
So if I do get into dart frogs I plan to do it in a 20 gallon tall with a plastic rock structure I happen to have, and add some live plants, like a bromeliads, orchids, maybe one of those little ficus with the exposed roots, it has an area I might turn into a shallow pool, but I might not.
If all goes well I may try and do a mixed show vivarium. I would probably get a really tall one and do a wall of plants, a water seep/trickle/fall thing and perhaps have that drain into some moss or dirt. then have the Goldens, which are very terrestrial, with a more arboreal species such as a thumbnail frog, maybe Oophaga, maybe blue dart frogs, or a small tree frog species. Thoughts
That should be ok,except the plants will grow and u should make sure they don't outgrow a tank that size.

Experiment397

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2010
Probably the Poly section
Slightly curious to know if this ever went anywhere? Personally id highly advise against it from my experiences with different PDF's and Treefrog species. But wondering what the OP decided to do

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store