Need Help ASAP Parasites or Bacteria

TwinfishX

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2015
At home
Can anyone tell me what this is? Is this bacteria infection or parasites? After coming home yesterday I notice some film and frayed fins on some of my fish, so I started them on Rid Ich hoping it's parasites and last I checked nothing yet and I just put my 2nd dose in. I have Kanamycin and Notrofuracin Green in hand just incase if it is bacteria and would I be able to combin both as well? Thanks is advance.

20170113_032921.jpg

20170113_032856.jpg

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
stop using ridich first off because that's not ich lol. I'd start by doing a good water change, and adding salt to the tank. That could be just about anything and hard to tell by the pics.

get some methylene blue to have on hand, as if the salt and wa ter changes don't start to clear this up I'd advise a dip bath for the affected fish.

that to me is either fungus or slimecoat shedding...honestly I can't tell but water changes water changes water changes.

TwinfishX

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2015
At home
I know it's not ich just getting that out of the way so layer today I'll do a 80% water change and does with Nitrofuracin for fungal and bacteria. Thank you.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I know it's not ich just getting that out of the way so layer today I'll do a 80% water change and does with Nitrofuracin for fungal and bacteria. Thank you.
no point in throwing medication at this tank....water changes and salt. you have zero idea what you're actually treating for....nitrofuran is only good for bacteria...and gram negative bacteria at that....

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
It could be simply bad water and excess slime and burns from ammonia.

If so, by applying medication you double up the chances of the already-stressed fish not making it and yourself not addressing the root cause and not learning.

There is a stickie thread in this forum that says "Fish health diagnostic. Read before posting". If you follow it, it would give us a chance to give you a sensible advice. Otherwise, like guys above said, we have no clue what's up with your fish from these pictures other than the fish is under stress and suffering... but from what???

What if it is simply fighting / bullying, or wrong water (temp, pH, hardness), or unstable water (again temp, pH, hardness), or new fish or plants have been introduced recently, etc.?

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
how long have you had these fish? water parameters?

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
you can always do Polyguard - it treats Fungal, Bacterial and Parasitic. It was recommended to me and since I started using it I have had great success with it. I always keep some in my med box. If it doesn turn out to be Bacterial, Fishbiotc's Penicillin will work on both Gram+ and Gram- bacteria

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
This usually means the poster does not measure parameters. I used to be like that too when I was younger. Didn't know, couldn't be convinced.

Reactions: Frank Castle
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store