Drift wood cats cohab?

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
So as some of you may know I have a jaguar cat in a 30 gallon 3'x1.5', he's approximately 4-5". With a ery sp Peru 5-6". The jag is the boss of the two. Discus origins has a trachy 7". Would the two be fine together until the trachy grows another inch or two?

Any personal experience with trachy as well would be welcomed. Share some stories lol. If it behaves like my jag I'm sure I'll love it.

koltsixx koltsixx had one or two I believe?

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
So as some of you may know I have a jaguar cat in a 30 gallon 3'x1.5', he's approximately 4-5". With a ery sp Peru 5-6". The jag is the boss of the two. Discus origins has a trachy 7". Would the two be fine together until the trachy grows another inch or two?

Any personal experience with trachy as well would be welcomed. Share some stories lol. If it behaves like my jag I'm sure I'll love it.

koltsixx koltsixx had one or two I believe?
Hey bro! Yep, still have two of the original four Trachys, sold two a couple of years ago. I also kept the original four Trachys with three Jags with no issue. You'll hear some grunts if they wind up arguing over a hide but in most instances they'll just wind up squeezing into it together. And if the Jag is the boss he won't be when the Trachy gets there.

Like the Jag you won't see the Trachy much unless food is in the water. When food is offered they're extremely boisterous eaters, using their massive armored heads to headbutt competing fish out of the way. They'll even take food at the surface and from your hand and learn to tolerate touching. They're a naked fish so they're very soft and slippery.

They're however two color variants, one with a white belly and one completely black. I've never had a completely black one and PlanetCatfish describes Trachys as very aggressive. I haven't seen such aggression but perhaps it is specific to the all black Trachy. They're, resilient and heal extremely well from injury IME and have never been sick in the ten years I've had them/knock on wood. They however can be extremely predatory. Mine have been great tolerating mouth sized fish often but sometimes they pull a Jekyll and Hyde on me and go super pred. In the past they consumed a large Ingot and a group of Silver Dats. Then they went years leaving my other fish alone till recently when in a Joint effort the male and female tore my Albino Clown Knife who was around twelve inches in to two halves. And even more recently the male scooped up my Tapajos I pike and was swimming around the tank with her hanging out his mouth like a bone looking for a way to bend her in half so he could eat her.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Hey bro! Yep, still have two of the original four Trachys, sold two a couple of years ago. I also kept the original four Trachys with three Jags with no issue. You'll hear some grunts if they wind up arguing over a hide but in most instances they'll just wind up squeezing into it together. And if the Jag is the boss he won't be when the Trachy gets there.

Like the Jag you won't see the Trachy much unless food is in the water. When food is offered they're extremely boisterous eaters, using their massive armored heads to headbutt competing fish out of the way. They'll even take food at the surface and from your hand and learn to tolerate touching. They're a naked fish so they're very soft and slippery.

They're however two color variants, one with a white belly and one completely black. I've never had a completely black one and PlanetCatfish describes Trachys as very aggressive. I haven't seen such aggression but perhaps it is specific to the all black Trachy. They're, resilient and heal extremely well from injury IME and have never been sick in the ten years I've had them/knock on wood. They however can be extremely predatory. Mine have been great tolerating mouth sized fish often but sometimes they pull a Jekyll and Hyde on me and go super pred. In the past they consumed a large Ingot and a group of Silver Dats. Then they went years leaving my other fish alone till recently when in a Joint effort the male and female tore my Albino Clown Knife who was around twelve inches in to two halves. And even more recently the male scooped up my Tapajos I pike and was swimming around the tank with her hanging out his mouth like a bone looking for a way to bend her in half so he could eat her.
Well you've had quite the experience with them. Lol oh I know all about the grunting, the jag doesn't shut up at night and swims back and forth and up and down nonstop. And he's a vacuum as well, slurps pellets and worms up like no tomorrow and I can pet him as long as the light is off or I don't bring him into the light during the day. I figured he'd lose his spot as top dog considering size difference. I've read if the aggression which is why I wanted to make this thread as I haven't seen any actual reports. Though maybe they mean predatory aggression going from your experience.

What growth rate have you experienced? And did you have your curu with them at any point throughout the years? I wonder if they'll really reach 17" lol. Thanks for the help.

I think Evz jardini Evz jardini had one too if I recall correctly? His looked fairly large in the 180.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
Well you've had quite the experience with them. Lol oh I know all about the grunting, the jag doesn't shut up at night and swims back and forth and up and down nonstop. And he's a vacuum as well, slurps pellets and worms up like no tomorrow and I can pet him as long as the light is off or I don't bring him into the light during the day. I figured he'd lose his spot as top dog considering size difference. I've read if the aggression which is why I wanted to make this thread as I haven't seen any actual reports. Though maybe they mean predatory aggression going from your experience.

What growth rate have you experienced? And did you have your curu with them at any point throughout the years? I wonder if they'll really reach 17" lol. Thanks for the help.

I think Evz jardini Evz jardini had one too if I recall correctly? His looked fairly large in the 180.
That's one of the better aspects of the Trachy, they hate the light but not more then they love food. So they'll surface feed with the lights on and will patrol during the day if hungry. As far as growth it was pretty quick at first and slowed after ten inches.

They can give you the perception that they're bigger then they really are. It's because they're fairly wide. I'm sure you've witnessed it in other fish. Some fish just look way bigger even if length wise they're the same, some fish are just more substantial all around.

I did keep mine with the Curu, never had a problem. Though the Curu isn't really a hider so there'd really be no reason for them to clash except at feeding time and then the Trachy would bulldoze the Curu away to get the lion share of the food.

I wanted to mention one more thing. CA/SA Cichlids seem to hate them or at least all of mine did. Depending on size the cichlids will either be overly intimidated and if they get bigger then the Trachy will often target them the minute they come out of hiding. And surprisingly they're quite capable of bullying the Trachy to a degree. The Trachy won't return the aggression but will flee again unless there's food involved. Then the Trachy ignores the assault and uses his head like he would on any other fish, as a ram to push out of the way. Only my pike cichlids seem to not pay them any mind.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
That's one of the better aspects of the Trachy, they hate the light but not more then they love food. So they'll surface feed with the lights on and will patrol during the day if hungry. As far as growth it was pretty quick at first and slowed after ten inches.

They can give you the perception that they're bigger then they really are. It's because they're fairly wide. I'm sure you've witnessed it in other fish. Some fish just look way bigger even if length wise they're the same, some fish are just more substantial all around.

I did keep mine with the Curu, never had a problem. Though the Curu isn't really a hider so there'd really be no reason for them to clash except at feeding time and then the Trachy would bulldoze the Curu away to get the lion share of the food.

I wanted to mention one more thing. CA/SA Cichlids seem to hate them or at least all of mine did. Depending on size the cichlids will either be overly intimidated and if they get bigger then the Trachy will often target them the minute they come out of hiding. And surprisingly they're quite capable of bullying the Trachy to a degree. The Trachy won't return the aggression but will flee again unless there's food involved. Then the Trachy ignores the assault and uses his head like he would on any other fish, as a ram to push out of the way. Only my pike cichlids seem to not pay them any mind.
Yea I want it to be 8-10 inches depending on it's girth, my jag is really girth for his length so I'm sure he could probably go right in with the curu but I just wanna be safer than sorry. The curu is approximately 14", only territorial on his bad days. I only plan to keep it with the curu odoe and gold wolf long term. The sun cat and bichirs will likely go sooner than later.

So once it's larger my only worry would be the curu as the gold and odoe stick more to each other though the odoe sometimes will go at the curu and quickly back down.

Haven't had cichlids for maybe two years now, only two I like are jags and argenteas, I've tried a few jags but they're one of those fish my wolf just seems to want to shread, like Bala sharks and silver dollars. Hence why ive got no more Baka sharks or jags, and one silver dollar in the 30g that I've been meaning to take to the lfs but haven't got around to it due to the new idea of trying some thing new in which case I'd get two more to introduce with the cichlids and hopefully disperse any aggression lol. I've toyed with the idea of growing some out from rapps, but not sure if I want to risk it. Don't think I will.

Reactions: koltsixx

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
Yea I want it to be 8-10 inches depending on it's girth, my jag is really girth for his length so I'm sure he could probably go right in with the curu but I just wanna be safer than sorry. The curu is approximately 14", only territorial on his bad days. I only plan to keep it with the curu odoe and gold wolf long term. The sun cat and bichirs will likely go sooner than later.

So once it's larger my only worry would be the curu as the gold and odoe stick more to each other though the odoe sometimes will go at the curu and quickly back down.

Haven't had cichlids for maybe two years now, only two I like are jags and argenteas, I've tried a few jags but they're one of those fish my wolf just seems to want to shread, like Bala sharks and silver dollars. Hence why ive got no more Baka sharks or jags, and one silver dollar in the 30g that I've been meaning to take to the lfs but haven't got around to it due to the new idea of trying some thing new in which case I'd get two more to introduce with the cichlids and hopefully disperse any aggression lol. I've toyed with the idea of growing some out from rapps, but not sure if I want to risk it. Don't think I will.
At that 10 inch size the Curu would have to shred him to get the Trachy down. So you're going to try the Gold with Curu? Or are they already together? Just curious because I was under the impression Curu's are Conspecific aggressive. So even though it's not another Curu I'd be worry the Gold might be close enough for the Curu to target him. Though I've never tried it myself and I'm only going by what I've heard.

COA had Beani awhile back. If he still did I'd have suggested them for the Silver comm. I myself have lost most of my interest in CA/SA Cichlids. It's not that they're not great fish just that I have a taste for the unusual. Right now I've got 2 Plat Scherzeri, a monster Ingot, Zebrina, Monicae the Trachys and the unidentified Beast Woodcat. Was gonna pick up a Colo Puffer and Pseudauchinipterus from Wes and a Red Johanna if I can find one.

Reactions: moe214

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
At that 10 inch size the Curu would have to shred him to get the Trachy down. So you're going to try the Gold with Curu? Or are they already together? Just curious because I was under the impression Curu's are Conspecific aggressive. So even though it's not another Curu I'd be worry the Gold might be close enough for the Curu to target him. Though I've never tried it myself and I'm only going by what I've heard. I was inspired by an old member, don't think he's been on in forever, it was myn_heers_pint, something like that. He had two golds with his curu, he also grew the largest curu. Don't know if ever introduced his third gold. And I liked the gold because ita activity. Wes has reported curus give him the most issues with being with other wolves and many other have said they've failed to put their curu with other hoplias, I've not seen another post with a curu with ery or hoplery other then the mentioned member.

COA had Beani awhile back. If he still did I'd have suggested them for the Silver comm. I myself have lost most of my interest in CA/SA Cichlids. It's not that they're not great fish just that I have a taste for the unusual. Right now I've got 2 Plat Scherzeri, a monster Ingot, Zebrina, Monicae the Trachys and the unidentified Beast Woodcat. Was gonna pick up a Colo Puffer and Pseudauchinipterus from Wes and a Red Johanna if I can find one.
The gold is 8-10". Doesn't stay still so can't get an accurate measurement. I've had it since October with the curu. The curu leaves it alone for the most part. Curus are only extra aggressive to other hoplias sp, hoplery and ery are treated as other fish, mine has been with ery when 8"+ and showed no aggression to any specimens, I just happen to have bad luck with ery ery. My curu has drove a mala that was no smaller than 2" to suicide however; broke his jaw then he jumped over night when the curu strikes the most.

And I have also experienced the same thing, I've lost interest in cichlids. I've always loved oddballs more, they can be harder to get ahold of though. You've got a nice stock list. I'm mostly into cats, characins, and polys with the exception of jardini aros, jags, and argenteas lol. I just don't wanna keep polys now cause I can't have the main species I want and rather wait till I can house them all together, cause having a few doesn't work lol, I've been in no rush to let them go because I like them but I figure it'd be beneficial so I don't make any irresponsible moves and to my bio load. I do however find myself missing cichlids personality sometimes, which is what makes me so enticed to get a jag etc. and I'd only get the two, not one or the other or anymore than two, because I feel one will Ben picked apart and I don't want anymore than one of each. I remember my old big mala I had with a big male jag, loved both of them. I wish I still had them both with the fish I have now. That mala was my favorite wolf ever personality wise, acted like a cichlid, begged for food, followed me back and forth, hand fed,let me pet him, and even take him out the water shortly. Can't ever forget that fish, hovered all day long, never bothered no one, he just didn't like fish directly in front of his face, had him with a number of cichlids. Had him with a jack Dempsey, buttikoferi, Texas, jag, red devil, oscar, blochii, and a Leporinus, the tank was overstocked now that I looked back which is probably partially why it worked, only fish the caused much of a issue was the buttikoferi and red devil, but they were smaller, with the buttikoferi rising up the ranks as he grew past everyone, jag kept everyone in check, only one who the wolf didn't dominate when challenged. He laid with the leporinus and blochii cats no problem. Had small 4" convicts with him the whole time I had him as well. Jag, oscar, cats, Lep, wolf were 11-12" buttikoferi was 10" and third in charge when I started rehoming everyone. He was one of the smallest when i started and caught up to everyone and passed most, their growth is crazy. But enough reminiscing lol. I can ramble for days.

Last edited:
Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Glad to hear your jaguar catfish is so outgoing. I've yet to make my jags so comfortable.

Keeping a jaguar and a trachy is a gamble that I've never attempted. On paper, I'd be wary although Kolt's experience is encouraging.

My quartet of Trachies is all black. They are 9"-12" and don't seem to notice any other fish in their tank but I've only kept them for about 6 months, which is puny versus Kolt's long run. They do fight for hiding spots, sometimes viciously, because one spot is prime and the other 4-5 are so-so. I think I will remove the prime spot and see what happens.

I had one trachy prior to that at ~8". It got damaged by a tail-end predatory attack of a 10" Cephalosilurus apurensis and eventually perished. I had only had it also for about half a year to a year.

The first preferred baitfish. These prefer pellets but some take fish if it flies in their face.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
It would only be temporary till the trachy puts on 1-3" I figure if anything I can move it early and see what happens. Since they're girthy it may be alright in with the wolf now but I just rather be more sure of it. Let's see if they have it when the time comes where fund permit, until then, I think and consider every possibility and it's likelihood lol.

And yea my jag is nocturnal for sure, but I keep the lighting dim so he feeds in it comfortably. And once he light is off he's out and about like no tomorrow. I really enjoy it. Maybe he's so comfortable because he's the boss in the tank.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I thoroughly envy how much your jaguar catfish leaves his closet. Over years I've kept perhaps 6-7 jaguar catfish, including the current pair, and perhaps never seen them come out of their hiding places, no matter how dim the lighting is or if the feed is in the water. I've never tried to see if they came out at night though.

As it happens and FWIW my four trachies are in with four 1' green wolf fish. Neither one pays any attention to the other.

When their queue comes, I'll post a video of that 240 gal.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store